THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Modifiying a M70 .375 H&H Classic Stainless--Cosmetics

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modifiying a M70 .375 H&H Classic Stainless--Cosmetics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know nothing about gunsmithing or custom work.
I prefer the look of a wood and blue M70 (like a Safari Express), but own a Classic Stainless.
What would I need to have done (is it even possbible) and who would be a good choice of a gunsmith to do the following:

1.) Blue, coat, bake (or whatever the process is) the barrel and action.

2.) Re-stock with a similar stock to the Classic Sporter LT I own in -'06.

Is it possible to have a durable, good-looking matte blue finish applied? Haven't kept up with the new custom procedures of late.

Thanks, ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
There are certainly coatings you can have applied to your barreled-action; Robar, Cerakote, teflon etc.

Have you thought about simply putting your stainless metal work in a wood stock? The look can be quite fetching. Factory take-off stocks can be found on Ebay for not a great deal of money. Anyway, just a thought about a relatively cheap way to approach this.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu: No I hadn't, but that is a good idea. Thanks, ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott, you will probably have to look for a Safari Express stock, the barrel on the .375 is heavier than that of the standard mdl70. I didn't care for the look of mine either, but I sent the stock off to Bell and Carlsen and they painted it in a black-gray web finish which made a huge difference, I've gotten a lot of compliments on the look of the rifle. They have quite a few choices on what patterns they can paint. It cost about $60 and they had it back to me in eight days.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
I am going through the process of changing my Classic Stainless also.

I have a stock from an older .300 Win Mag that I am using but may look for a newer stock without the raised checkpiece depending on how this one feels when I shoot it. So far I have opened up the barrel channel, glass bedded the action and replaced the factory recoil pad with a Decelerator. I stripped, did some minor reshaping, and started to refinish the stock and am just about done filling the pores. Once the stock finish is done I will redo the checkering. I also added Williams one piece bottom metal.

I glass bedded the plastic factory stock and inlet it for the Williams bottom metal and changed out the factory recoil pad for a Limbsaver. Sometime in the future I will probably go with a McMillan stock.

The factory extractor was replaced by a Williams blued spring steel extractor.

I was planning on having the rifle blued, but the way it looks now is starting to grow on me. I may leave the stainless as is or send it off to be blued later.

Scope is a Leupold Vari X III 1.75x6 with Leupold QRW quick release rings and bases.

My goal is to have a wood stock for hunting in Africa and a synthetic for hunting in Alaska.

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote