New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello, this is my first post on this great site. I have read posts for quiet a while, but I now need your help.

I have a Leupold 6.5x20 AO. I have shot this scope/rifle combo for 7 yrs and have never had a problem until last year.

It seems that when I shoot it out of a vise it groups at 1/2" at 100 yards. But when I shoot it off bags then I get 2-3" groups. I know I am not that bad a shot (hehe), but I feel I may be getting some "Bow" or "refraction?" from the AO. Is it possible my eyes could have changed or could it be the scope has problems?

Give me some more insight on the AO of scopes.

Thanks again for such a great site.

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
MGC - First off, welcome to the neighborhood! This situation does not sound like a scope problem. The scope should not care weather you shoot off sandbags or vise. The vice could be exerting pressure on the barrel/action that is not present when shooting off the bags. Sounds like a potential bedding problem or loose screws. If you have not taken the action out of the wood in a few years, it is a good time to pull the action and inspect the bedding. Make sure you torque the screws properly when reinstalling. Check all scope mount screws. Hit the range and see what happens....

Z

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board MGC/ as the other post states you could have a bedding problem but it could be a internal scope problem, if it were me I would have a friend that can shoot try a few groups and see if it does the same for them,Leupolds are great scopes and I have been thru 25plus of them and had few problems, BUT one did develope a problem internally and start "double grouping" and I sent it back to Leupold and problem fixed, get a friend to shoot gun then pull scope and check base screws and ring screws and if you have the turn in front ring with windage rear, check the front ring "foot" off the scope to make sure it is still tight, I had one crack at the "foot" joint and you couldn't tell it was broken untill I took off the rear ring and then you could feel the loose front ring, if you do not find anything else send scope to leupold with desc. of problem, be sure to insure package, hope you find a simple problem but if not don't suffer, contact Leupold!!! good luck and good shooting/with itty bitty groups!!!!!QUOTE]Originally posted by MGC:
Hello, this is my first post on this great site. I have read posts for quiet a while, but I now need your help.

I have a Leupold 6.5x20 AO. I have shot this scope/rifle combo for 7 yrs and have never had a problem until last year.

It seems that when I shoot it out of a vise it groups at 1/2" at 100 yards. But when I shoot it off bags then I get 2-3" groups. I know I am not that bad a shot (hehe), but I feel I may be getting some "Bow" or "refraction?" from the AO. Is it possible my eyes could have changed or could it be the scope has problems?

Give me some more insight on the AO of scopes.

Thanks again for such a great site.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Check the scope mounts for tightness and security.

Your problem is often due to pressures you induce in the stock when you try to "warp" the crosshairs onto the target. Make sure that your "natural point of aim" is dead center of the bull. This means that while you're laying on the bags you can close your eyes for 10 seconds and relax, and when you open them you are still centered.

Also check to see that the pressure from the bag is in the same place on the forearm. Some stocks have enough spring in them that this can make a significant difference.

Getting a buddy or other shooter to try it is a good idea. Have hime watch you and critique your style. An impartial observer can see things you'd never think of.

Also get your buddy to load the rifle for you, so you don't know if it's loaded or not. The unforseen "dry fires" can show up bad habits.

As a last resort suspect the scope itself.

Good luck and welcome to the site,
Don

[This message has been edited by Don G (edited 04-27-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I will try the buddy system. The gun has been glassed, but the barrel may need a little float.

Thanks again for your replys.

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another possibility... when you shoot off bags, is the barrel resting on the bags along with the forestock? That makes a big difference.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote