Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 bolt face question
 Login/Join

posted
I have a VZ24 sporter I picked up at a gunshow. It's been re-done in 300 Win Mag caliber. I've been thinking lately I'd like to make it into a 308 heavy barrel,but was wondering if I can use the same bolt that has had the bolt face opened up. I know I'll have to replace the extractor,should I just get an original unmodified bolt also? or just forget the whole idea ? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sell or trade the magnum bolt for a standard. You can't use it on your .308 project -- it won't feed.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As they say, all it takes is money... to expand on what has been said...

Easiest is to buy a VZ bolt that has the original bolt face un-opened up. Mauser and .308 are about the same. approx. .473 inches.

If you tried the new, original extractor only, it might work but only "SLOPPY" AT BEST... Unreliable, unfun... pain...

Or, for a ton of money, someone could "close up" the bolt face. Weld and recut? Fit an insert in the original diameter... More unpleasantness. I wouldn't.

If the gun is a real nice custom, you might "do better" to sell it as is and start with another un altered gun. But this is your call. As said, the original spec bolt, and they are around, is quickest and easiest. Luck. happy holidays.

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Yes the old bolt face can be bushed up and a nice job it will be if done right. I did it on a '03 years ago and you couldn't tell it. Or spend the money for a unaltered bolt body and use it.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I sent you an e-mail if you are interested in a trade.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It's not just the bolt face that has been opened-up for the 300 Win Mag. Probably the mag box, extractor and feed rails have been altered to feed the larger cartridge. I think you'll be dollars ahead by finding an un-altered action on which to build a 308 Win.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't think the feed rails will be a problem,I tried some 308 rounds in the magazine and they stayed in place and fed OK when I pushed the bolt forward slowly.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
At some point in time you might want to work it fast...

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
At some point in time you might want to work it fast...

jumping