THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action Length On Ruger M77 Mk11 AllWeather???
 Login/Join

posted
I have an early Ruger M77Mk11 AllWeather in .223 and I have been toying with replacing the hideous plastic stock with a laminated one.

I have seen replacement stocks for Ruger M77's listed by a couple of different companies but they were all designated as "LA"...in fact I have never seen any type of replacement stock for this rifle in "SA". So, is the the .223 produced on a LA reciever?? Do in fact Ruger produce rifles in SA and LA configeration ???

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an early MarkII in 223 in walnut myself.They are definetely a short action.Someone should have a stock for you.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rembo,

Thanks for that, I assumed it was a SA but was not 100% sure.

I have since found that Boyds sells a laminated stock for the M77 Mk2 Ruger SA and I am awaiting a price from them for shipping to the UK...My ruger shoots very well, but the stock is soooooooo ugly it is starting to give me a flinch!

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I have the same rifle and even though I too think the stock is ugly I'm not touching mine. It will shoot into 1/2" using that bulk pack Winchester 45 grain ammo. And that's with me shootin it. With results like that I'm not foolin with it.

Best part is I got mine brand new from wally world for $300 OTD.
-M

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Z1R,

Mine shoots about the same and it is one very practical rifle. But I have seen them with a laminated stock and they do look pretty good...if the worst comes to the worst
I'll jusr replace the original stock...

Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about another (better looking) synthetic stock? Cabela's Reloaders Catalog has a few SA stocks, but most are expensive. For example a McMillan SA stock costs $329.00. A Bell & Carlson costs around $160.00. Hogue Rubber-Overmolded with a full length aluminum bed costs around $200.00. You will have to talk to a sales technician (not the sales person) to find out if they have your specific stock.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Ruger will sell factory laminated stocks ? They look pretty decent .......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote