Find
Notify
Tools

Stock making instructional videos
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
Has anybody produced a good instructional video on the subject? If so any suggestions where they may be found? Thanks. Rob

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey

I have been bugging Gunmaker to make such a video for over a year now. Since he has now completed his move, Maybe if you and a few others help bug him he will agree to do it.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I'd buy one. The more instruction I have from as many sources as I can secure would be very beneficial. The Wesbrook book is very good. I wish he'd do one dedicated soley to doing a stock from a blank.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey,

It is very hard to make a video of yourself and be the camera person while working on a stock projects. I have tried to make video's of the operation of my stock machine and of me checkering. It takes experience to get the voice onto the video as your are shooting the work being done. The problem is time and I have the time now being retired, but for each hour of video you will have to edit for several more hours and put the video in the right sequence. Getting the light in the correct position to shoot also is a problem. A good comerical camera and the making of this video would be a project that most pro stockmakers are not interested in trying. The cost of making and the profit is not there for a working person. I have thought of making a project up to do this video, but can't get off my ---.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Dunlap book GUNSMITHING goes through it in detail. I haven't done it yet, but it's got enough detail that I think I will be able to make an attempt.

Videos can be a lot clearer than books, though.

Anybody seen the "Learn to Checker" video by Midway? It's pretty good, but I haven't seen their Miles Gilbert kit come off the Temporarily Unavailable list.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
The Dunlap book GUNSMITHING goes through it in detail. I haven't done it yet, but it's got enough detail that I think I will be able to make an attempt.

Videos can be a lot clearer than books, though.

Anybody seen the "Learn to Checker" video by Midway? It's pretty good, but I haven't seen their Miles Gilbert kit come off the Temporarily Unavailable list.

Steve

I don't know about the learn to checker video that Midway sells, but I do have the DVD that Joe Balackie did a few years ago and it is absolutely outstanding. If someone would make a good "from the blank" video that has the same quality as the Balackie video it would be worth the $60 - $70 bucks somebody would have to charge for it.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
LesBrooks, I do imagine it'd be quite a undertaking with perhaps limited returns for the effort. Perhaps a organization like the ACGG could sponsor such a thing to help fund it and maybe be able to promote it enough to make it profitable. I think such a video would sell if Brownells and Midway type outfits stocked it.

skl1, thanks for that reference, I don't have that book, I'll try and track it down.