New
Find
Notify
Tools

Myrtle Wood Blanks
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone!

I was directed to your forum from another one, by one of your members.

I've done a bit of target shooting before but no hunting (suburban raised).

I have some wood blanks that I would like to sell. I need some help valuing them.

These are mostly myrtle wood, from a company called Gould's Myrtle Wood. They apparently went out of business about 1979. These blanks measure, on average 2 1/2 to 3 " deep and about 3 feet long.

They are varnished on all but one side, some have, what I assume are, dates that they were cut.

There are a couple of pieces of curly maple, and one which I think maybe walnut?

Would this be an appropriate request here?

Thanks Everyone in Advance!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes but photos would be helpful.

Posts: 298 | Location: Antioch | Registered: 09 April 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is a bit picture intensive Big Grin

I only photographed one so far.

posted Hide Post
No interest at all from anyone ?

Guess the current fashion is all synthetics CRYBABY

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
There is plenty of interest in wood blanks here. However, to be honest here, that one you posted pics of isn't particulary attractive. No offense meant, just explaining the lack of interest.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Actually wood is high fashion here but again you have to show us the most interesting pieces. Color contrast and interesting grain patterns, etc...etc... Do a search here in the classifieds to see more about what sells here. A lot of money flows here but it has to be more interesting than wood you could buy at your local wood crafter's store (most of the time).
Most of the interest here, would likely be in your walnut piece or the curly maple.

Just about any piece of old, air dried, stable stock wood is worth $40 or 50 bucks even if it is just for patterns. It just goes up from there, with the real good stuff in the $1000+ range. So it has value, it's just about what you are wanting to get out of it. The piece you have pictured is truck gun, pattern stock, factory gun quality wood. For most of us, not worth the time it takes to make a stock out of. For someone with a pattern duplicator, it might have some value.

Not knowing what your thoughts are about "value or price", it is hard to know what to say as we are mostly a bunch of nice guys not wanting to offend or hurt the feelings of a new member. For all we know you might be thinking you have a gold mine of wood or on the other hand, the thought of $40-50 might be a welcome figure?? Who knows?? It's good to have you as a new member and I hope you stick around to enjoy what goes on around here. It's so much more than a place to sell stuff. If you post this piece for sale, post it with the lowest price you are willing to sell it at and you might sell it, might not, it depends on who needs what when you post it. If they are all this plain Jane, they might be hard to sell unless it is to a local, as S&H comes into play at the lower values.

In my business, I rarely handle bolt rifle length wood that is under $1000 a stick unless it is for a pattern. This, you will find is not uncommon, in the custom stock world. Good wood is always desirable to us gun nuts.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That pretty well sums it up. If you have a significant number of these, it might pay to research the best local area gunshow for moving wood and get a table. But posting is free and it won't hurt to put them in the classifieds and see what happens.

I think eBay would also be a good opportunity for lesser grade blanks. At least you'd get a feel for their price point.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Trez, you are a true diplomat!

Anyway, I agree with all Trez said too.

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys.

I'll look through to find some of the better blanks and post some pictures.

While I'd love to say that its all $2k wood, I figure these are somewhere in the $125 range and maybe a little more for the curly maple.

Does that sound reasonable?

I'll try to post the curly maple in the next couple of days. I get better pictures in the sunlight but its raining here like crazy.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
No, I think $125 is over the top for the wood pictured. The only use I see for it is pattern wood.

Best of luck.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm going to post the blanks I have for sale later on tonight. I got pictures and dimensions.

This is the blank I'm going to keep for myself. I think its rather pretty. dancing

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Now, there is an interesting blank!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, there is an interesting blank!

+1 clap

As to $125 for the first one that is way more than it would be worth to me. Just checking on GAG they have shaped Myrtle blanks with more interesting grain for not much more. Like others have said maybe on Ebay.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote