New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold / Sako Rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone any experience of these rings, I don't like the new Optilock mounts as the ring is held to the base by a small screw, bypassing the advantages of the integral dovetail on these rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them a bunch of times; I think they are excellent.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Leupold Sako mounts on a rifle in .280 Rem AI. Never had any problems with them in this context.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The design of the Sako Optilock is indeed a mystery. Why would Sako decide to put an extra (and extraneous) piece between the integral bases and the rings? Besides that, they are very heavy, way too tall for normal scopes, and EXPENSIVE.

I've got the Leupold ringmounts on about six or eight Sakos ranging from .223 through .375 H&H. While there are other very good mounts for Sakos, the Leupolds are by far my favorites and have been trouble-free.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold actually makes two kinds of ring/base options for the Sako dovetails. The 'ringmounts' which are integral dovetail bases and rings, and the QD style, which feature a base that is mounted to the dovetail, and a lever that 'captures' a pin which engages the cam on the lever and pulls the ring into place. They are very stable, and IMO moreso than the ringmounts, I have heard of slippage with them, although I have not experienced that. The QD's offer very or extra low rings, and I have found these let me mount a scope lower than any other combo of rings, integral ring/bases or what not for the Sako dovetails, that I like a lot.

My favorite base ring combo is Talley's, but they will not let you it get really low, even in their lowest ring.

Cheers--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I use Talley bases and QD lever rings on my .375 Sako AV. I have found that Talleys are the absolute best for just about any application.

It would be better if Talley would provide rings only, and set them up to mate with the integral tapered dovetails on the Sako receiver, as that would eliminate the need for separate bases.

Tally does that with the rings they provide for the CZ 550 rifles, but for some reason they have not done that for the Sako rifles.

Still, the Talley Sako bases are low profile and I find that, with the Talley low QD lever rings, the scope lines up perfectly for me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
I have a set of tallys I plan to swap for a set of Leupolds. I have used Leupolds on a couple Safaris and they are flawless. I also have Conetrols that work equaly well.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more option.

On small Sako actions I like to use the old Redfield SR bases, #512215.

My exceptions are that:

One: If the bases have an "anchor" screw, I file it flat to to base bottom...i.e. it's not "used".

Two: I fit each base by peaning the base bottom dovetails to the point that the base stops about 0.25" short, of it's final position, when pushed on by hand. I then drive each base on, with a leather mallet. I've never had one loosen....in fact, I've had to use a vise set-up to remove them.

Three: I like to then use Leupold STD rings and anti-sieze lube, as they don't gall when turned in. Lap the rings, of course.

The base contours make for a very sleek appearance once installed.

BTW, I like Conetrols on high grade L461's. I fit the bases the same way.

I'd post a pic, but my hosting site has closed.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako 591M action barreled in 7-08AI. It wears Leupold rings and they work just fine.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
Optiloc's IMHO are fantastic rings I have the QR version they have taken various knock and bumps but have never failed or even moved

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
One more option.

On small Sako actions I like to use the old Redfield SR bases, #512215.

My exceptions are that:

One: If the bases have an "anchor" screw, I file it flat to to base bottom...i.e. it's not "used".

Two: I fit each base by peaning the base bottom dovetails to the point that the base stops about 0.25" short, of it's final position, when pushed on by hand. I then drive each base on, with a leather mallet. I've never had one loosen....in fact, I've had to use a vise set-up to remove them.

Three: I like to then use Leupold STD rings and anti-sieze lube, as they don't gall when turned in. Lap the rings, of course.

The base contours make for a very sleek appearance once installed.

BTW, I like Conetrols on high grade L461's. I fit the bases the same way.

I'd post a pic, but my hosting site has closed.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for your tutorial on how to install the Redfield/Burris bases on a Sako. I've tried to explain this over and over to any number of people, but most of them insist on slipping the bases part-way on then clinching them down with the little (useless) set screw -- a recipe for disaster. Ugghh!

A Redfield base installed as you instruct will come loose only when you purposfully and forcefully reverse the process. By the way, I use a block of hardwood held against the rear edge of the base then hammer that forward with a rubber mallet. Works like a charm.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use the little set screws, I've found a small piece of lead shot will keep the screw head from marring the knurling on the top of the receiver bridge.

Posts: 154 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
whb309,

Funny that you mention the exact lead shot trick that I use on Conetrol bases. Since the set screw is recessed and "hidden", the lead shot was used to protect the receiver flat.

Stonecreek,

Yep.....as you described, the set screw would actually TILT the base....ugh!!

I once bought a L461 based rifle from a "famous" gunwriter. It had a scope with Conetrol rings and bases. When I removed the scope(with rings).......the rear base FELL OFF the receiver. Bad.....

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using Leupold Ringmounts to hold a Leupold VX1 4-12 on a custom L461. Looks fine, works great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
I'm using Leupold Ringmounts to hold a Leupold VX1 4-12 on a custom L461. Looks fine, works great.

I'm sure it does. I use the same set-up with a Leupold 3-9 Compact on one rifle and a Leupold 2-7 Compact on another, both with the low Leupold ringmouts. The little scopes are a wonderful match for the petite Sako action.