New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Gun Guild, Atlanta, Georgia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know about the Custom Gun Guild, Atlanta, Georgia, which was around in the 1960's?

Was the work of their craftsman on par with what we see from ACGG members today?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you might be off by about 20 years, as there was a Custom Gun Guild around in Georgia in the 1980s if memory serves me correctly. they were located in Doraville Georgia, and were primarily known for their take-down guns. They used a bushing and an interrupted thread system.

I never owned one, but I read about them, and from what I read, their work was highly thought of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aha!

That is precisely why I was inquiring. There is a takedown rifle with Custom Gun Guild, Atlanta, GA engraved on the inside. On the outside it says Griffin & Howe. Looks great. But the owner says the best it will do is a 3 inch group at 100 yards.

I supposed G&H took the order and then subcontracted the work to CCG. But the story on the gun is that the work was performed in 1965.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains,Give chucks firearms in buckhead a call and they will probley know something about it.They have been in the area a longtime.Goodluck! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains

To my knowledge the Custom Guild was a group of about 3 gunsmiths under one roof. I like you ran into one of there guns in 2003. I finally located Frank S Wood the president of the company. The guild had broken up and he was working in a different shop. Shop was Classic Guns Inc. in Norcross GA. He was to send me some information but I never received.

The gun your are looking at is not one of there normal takedowns. They used a large sleeve screwed into the receiver that was cut to 7/8 x 14 interrupted threads. The one you are looking at is full diameter. They had a guarantee of
1 1/2 MOA with all barrels that was fitted without change of scope setting.

There was a write up on them in Rifle # 91
Jan/Feb 1984 and in Gun World which I have no date on. Hope this helps.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
my hunting partner has a Frank Wood custom that would almost get me to use a Ruger 77 that's almost use,, Really Really good craftsmanship.. They were located on Buford Highway for a few years,

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote