New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel twist for AR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is a good twist rate for 50g to 62g projectiles in my AR. 1: 7,8 or 9???

Thanks Smiler

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If I was only going to shoot 62 grain and lighter I would go with the 1:9" twist.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1/7 or 1/9 will both work fine. The 1/7 is really only needed if shooting long projectiles. I don't remember why but length factors into stability (needing a tighter twist) and twist more then weight. If using over the counter ammo I would probably go with 1/9, 1/7 if it was the same price but I wouldn't pay $1 more for it.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by viperidae:
1/7 or 1/9 will both work fine. The 1/7 is really only needed if shooting long projectiles. I don't remember why but length factors into stability (needing a tighter twist) and twist more then weight. If using over the counter ammo I would probably go with 1/9, 1/7 if it was the same price but I wouldn't pay $1 more for it.

Thanks guys!!

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
1-9 will be more versatile. I had an AR with a 1-7 and it refused to shoot 55 gr with any kind of accuracy.
Bump up to 62 gr or 69 sierra match kings and she was a one hole hole rifle. And that was FN HBAR A2 stock and hand guard not floated. With iron sights.
Oh did I mention that group was shot with 22 year old eyes Big Grin
Now I have a M4 style rifle 16" bbl and it is damn accurate too. 1-9 twist so we can shot everything but the longest 69 gr and up stuff.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote