New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best action for a 338 RUM?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
My brother is thinking his "ultimate" north american rifle, or at least his next "ultimate" rifle , is going to be chambered in 338 RUM.

What he is looking for is something that can be a 500 yard moose gun on one trip, and a brown bear rifle on another trip.

His preference is for a stainless action unless someone comes up with a really good reason not to (the only one I can think of would be if using a pre-64 M70 action). Would prefer it to be controlled feed. He has a Ruger M77 in 338 Win Mag that could be a donor action, but lately he has been thinking that a ruger #1 might be an interesting choice too.

He is also getting the crazy idea of loading up 160-185 gr bullets to see how flat this thing will shoot, I know that is more of a reloading question but we'll wait until we get some metal before getting into it seriously, anyone with experience shooting the lighter weight bullets?

He wants me to tell everyone he is serious about this, he has already bought a Norinco scope at Wally world for a really good price, says the difference between that and a leupold will pay for an extra box of ammo.

Also, if the M77 were rebarrelled does much work have to be done to get it to feed?

TIA

Mark

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try to find one of the Model 70 Stainless Classics in 300 RUM and rebarrel. Barring that, I'd find a Stainless Classic 7STW gathering cobwebs on the shelf and rebarrel.

The problem may be getting the thing to hold more than two shells in the mag or getting it to feed perfectly. I'm pretty sure a good gunsmith, (as opposed to a parts-replacer) could get it to work.

Just some ideas, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be better to do it on a cz 550 action. RAB has a .375 ULTRA Mag on a cz and it is awsome.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the cz 550 actions are by far the best for the ultra mag cases IMO>>>>>> they feed excellent hold at least 3 down and are accurate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello MarkWhite.
You can tell your brother that I have a 338 RUM, custom-buildt on a stainless pre'64.
And that feeds flawlessly. It's truth, though, that I only get 3 rounds in the magazine (1 in the chamber, and 2 in the magazine.).
Mine is a SS mod 70, with a Shilen Selected Match barrel on 26", and a straight classic laminated stock on it. I havent done any serious accuracy testing yet, because I dont have a proper scope on it.
Mine was buildt on a 338 Win.Mag. Just removed that clip in the magazine, so it's full lenght. Max COL on the 338 RUM's in my magazine is 91.35mm.
The best part is that the original barrel (338 WinMag) also is fitted, after the action was straightened, so I can switch between those two barrels when ever I want. [Big Grin]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a dumb question. Is the ruger action long enough? I have always heard the reason they don't chamber anything longer than 300 win 338 win is the action is not long enough. So they make the magnum rifle for cartriges 375 and up. So if the action is not large enough for a 340 a 338 rum may be a problem.

<allen day>
posted
I agree with the idea of buying a Model 70 in .300 RUM, then rebarreling to .338 RUM. With a custom barrel in place, you'll have an even better rifle.

AD

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Allen,

That was one of our first thoughts, but the posts in the "converting model 70 to 375 rum" raise some good points.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really,

look into the cz's there a wonderful action and great value for money. There a magnum mauser with sqaure bridges all steel forged action at a very reasonable price. Check out J.Belks review over at HA. The money saved on the orginal purchase can be spent on a PME safety & McMillan stock. Then you will have the perfect set up, a full sized mag action to hold a mag round and you should get 4 in the mag in the .375 RUM or .338 RUM. RAB gets 4 down in his, you won't have a standard action butchered to squeeze these chamberings in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy two Remington 700 stainless rifles, one in .338 RUM for the moose and brownie, if brownie shows up on the moose hunt. Buy the second one in .375 RUM for brown bear hunts. Either one will handle most of the jobs you have outlined. Both come in 26", I think, at least the .338 does. The .375 RUM will become a fav. for AK, I'll bet. Also, both Rem's will already hold 3 in the magazine box.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Build it on a CZ 550 or the older 602 action. Also regarding that Norinco scope from Wally World. I would bet he doesn't get that extra box of ammo shot before that scope falls apart!

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Snowman,

Yup, I think he's going to pass on the Norinco.... He wants me to say that he can't find Talley QD rings in 7/8" so sadly he'll have to go with his second choice ( Burris Black Diamond).

I hope everyone is having a happy and healthy new year!

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, he can get a leupold VX-1 at a pretty good price and it will be a decent scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, tell him to forget the other scope and go with the Burris Black Diamond..They are truly great..I put a Bushnell Elite 4200 on mine.. Good luck with .338 rum you'll love it. I love my .340. Have fun

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote