New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extractor question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am working an extraction problem with a Marlin Model 62 (30 Carbine caliber).
When shooting commercial 30 carbine cartridges, extraction is no problem.
When usuing US Military 30 carbine cartridges which are in good condition, the fired brass sticks in the chamber and the extractor ovcerrides causing me to use a cleaning rod to drive out the brass. Note: If I pull the GI ammo bullets and reduce the powder charge by 15%, then fire them the brass will extract normally.
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Would even be glad to phone and discuss how I might correct this extraction problem.
I have 3 of the model 62s and all do the same regrading extraction.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Note: If I pull the GI ammo bullets and reduce the powder charge by 15%, then fire them the brass will extract normally.

Did you try it with the original power charge.

I had the same problem with some surplus 8x57 I believe that the bullets over time became attached to the casing causing pressure to rise.

If I still happens with the original charge then it seems that that ammo is to hot for the marlins.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Military 30 carbine ammo shouldn't be too hot for that rifle, since both military and commercial cartridges comlpy with SAAMI standards and the rifle was designed to be compliant. In fact, I believe that all commercially produced rifles are safety tested with "hot loads" to verify that there is an adequate safety margin.
I mentioned that the US military ammo was in good condition.
The sealing that is used on USGI ammo is considered when the government manufactures ammo. I have never heard of WW-II or later US ammo with the sealer on it giving people problems.
I am somewhat convinced it is a problem unique to the Marlin Model 62 chambered for 30 Carbine.
I have used the same ammo in a USGI 30 carbine and it functions flawlessly.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might try pulling a few and replace the bullets with the original charge and see what happens.

Sometimes the older bullets get kind of glued to the case over the years.

And clean the chamber real good.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote