New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Custom 8x57?
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
I have a number of 8x57s (mostly Mausers). Here is a pic of my pieced-together, semi-custom 8x57:

It is a 21" Douglas barrel (#3) on a 700 LA. factory sights from a 700 barrel, and a decent piece of English walnut I bought as a semi-inlet. I shaped, finished, bedded, and floated the stock/action/barrel myself. Weighs about 8lbs all told, and is a real shooter.

I'd consider buying a cherry BRNO 22F 8x57 before I'd consider having a full-on custom built. JMO...

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have been reading posts here and following along for about a year now. I have actually learned quite a bit and seen some very fine examples of rifles I would like to own someday, if I can ever afford to pay what they're worth...

I see alot of rifles built in classic calibers: 7x57, 6.5x55, 30-06, etc., but I can't recall ever seeing an 8x57. I've had some success hunting with this caliber, own a few mausers so-chambered, and generally like it.

Just out of curiosity, is there not enough interest in this caliber to warrant a nice custom? It strikes me and fairly classic and pretty useful caliber...in among the bevy of 7x57's and 6.5x55's, there's bound to be at least a few, right?

What's the deal here?

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tex,
I have been contemplating building a 8x57 also. I bought one of those Fajen closeout stocks from Midway a few months ago and cannot decide on a caliber. I think it should be a metric caliber since the stock is european styled. I am torn between the 8x57 and a 9.3x62. I am thinking recoil might be an issue with the steel buttplate on the 9.3. I do not own a 30-06 so a 8mm might be useful. I have 375 and 338s so I don't really need a 9.3. I am wondering if I built a 9.3 if I would really carry it to Africa or reach for the 338, my pet caliber. Hard decisions. Maybe we will hear from some of the 8mm shooters.
Doug

Posts: 229 | Location: Asheville, NC USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Tex,

The 8x57 is a fine cartridge and with European made ammo or handloads is essentially the .30-06's equivilent. I've had a custom in the works for a while now. I built it as an iron sighted rifle. Main stumbling block is the stock. I built it on an Intermediate action and the first stock I had had some serious defects in it once I got to shaping it.

There are several members here who probably have several 8x57's.

besides, the way I look at it is, if it's a custom then it can be anything you want it to be. That's the beauty of building a custom. I've always rather enjoyed shooting obscure cartridges anyway, makes you feel different.

Good luck with the project.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the main reason is that there are so many fine rifles already available in 8x57. The majority of custom and factory (Oberndorf and Brno) rifles brought over at the end of WWII are chambered in 8x57, and such rifles can be bought for considerably less than rifles in more romantic chamberings.

These rifles usually can be found for only a fraction of what it would cost to duplicate them. I've had several rifles in 8x57, but there are so many nice ones that I decided to move up to the rarer 8x60 so that I don't have to buy another gun safe.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've got a few mausers I plan to tinker with as time and money become available. I may have to build up one in 8x57. I was mainly just curious if this caliber was something that people still looked at.

Thanks all responding and for posting that pic.

Jason

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
The 8x57 is a fine round, I agree there's not many customs because the old ones are available so cheap. I picked this one up at the Houston gun show 2-3 years ago for under $500. It's got a solid full length rib, a little engraving and I hate to think how much to have one built today.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote