New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rigby - Gunsmith Recommendations??
 Login/Join

posted
AR folks,

I've been blessed to win an older Rigby in .416 on Gunbroker, so I have a new project to get this rifle back to Africa. The gun is in what I would call pretty rough cosmetic shape (but usable), and I am looking to get it refurbished to like new condition. I've spoken with the Rigby folks in London, and they are happy and willing to do it, although at an obviously very high cost and lengthy timeline.

So, I have a few questions for folks on AR. Do you think that I would be better served to have Rigby do the refurbishment, or alternatively a highly recommended Gunsmith in the USA? If doing it in the USA wouldn't sacrifice future value, who would you recommend?

I've talked with the Turnbull folks, and the prefer not to do bolt actions, and they recommended New England Custom Guns. I've spoken with NECG's and they've said they've worked on original Rigby's several times.

I think there are some obvious advantages to having in done in the USA including cost and turnaround time, but I certainly don't want to do anything to sacrifice the lineage or historical value of the finished product once restored. Any recommendations from folks who have tackled similar projects? This would be the first time I've tackled a project of this cost and importance. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
David Whipple.

SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen some nice restorations by Michael Merker.

Www.michaelmerker.com

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Maybe Lon Paul? Duane Wiebe?

I would say with the makers we have here, you can get as good if not better results than sending it back to the new version of Rigby.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Lon is probably the most knowledgeable about Rigby's . And builds them as well as the old rifles. A few years ago he brought one of his to SCI and I was carrying it past Rigby and Paul Roberts saw it and called me over. He had it in his hands and told me he could tell me the year it was built just by looking at it !
I told him to read the name on the barrel first and he looked and could not believe it. He said he wished Rigby could build rifles like that today

Other smiths like Joe Smithson, Reto Butler and James Tucker can also do superb work

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys, much appreciated.

SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
Anyone have any thoughts on implications to value of refurbishing a firearm like this?

I've been told from S&W collector friends of mine, that leaving them in complete original condition makes them hold their value better.

I'm not sure if this part of the firearm market (high end safari rifles) values keeping them in original condition, or if having it reputably restored is the better path. I ask because I think it's in hunting condition, as is..

SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on implications to value of refurbishing a firearm like this?

All depends on how bad a shape it is in and how rare a rifle it is.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reto Buhler would be a good candidate as well.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Norin is another.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If you’re really concerned about maximizing future value I’d think sending to Rigby the only choice.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the US authorized rep is still Lee Le Bas of Minden NV

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I talked to the Rigby folks last week and they use Blaser USA as the US Agent to handle the international transfer. If I remember correctly, it was a investment group led by Blaser that ended up purchasing the rights to Rigby from the previous USA company that owned the Rigby rights.

SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
No question that the best and safest bet (from an investment perspective) would be to send it to London. A few years back, when London was Paso Robles, I wouldn't have said so.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What with the export and return import requirements and associated cost to sent it to the UK like Phil I think Lon Paul is a better option

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of guff spoken, in the USA, and in the UK, but more in the USA I have to say about re-finishing British guns.

These guns are working tools. If the blacking wore then, at some time or another, the weapon would be re-blacked. Now the engraving on the barrel, its makers name, the first time might be left as is.

My late father's gun has now been re-blacked twice. But it was made in 1919 so two re-blacks in a hundred years isn't bad. But on the second re-black it had the name on the barrel rib picked up.

The rifle that the OP asks about iss still a Rigby. It'll just be a Rigby that has been put back into good order for what it was designed to do. To be used.

Would I send it to Rigby? Hmm! I think I'd find out who Rigby will send it to and cut out the middleman (Rigby) and send it directly to THAT person.

There aren't many in UK that do that sort of work and if you ask around the UK Forums you'll get the answer to that question.

Would I have it done in the USA? If I saw the work that the man could do, and his turnaround time was reasonable then, yes, of course I would if I lived in the USA.

The thing I'd be wary about is possible problems with BATF and having it come back into the USA if it has a cut-out on the receiver.

Would I re-finish a military weapon? No. Nor a Smith & Wesson revolver nor a Colt pistol. But I don't think they wear the finish in a way that a working rifle or a working shot gun does where the black has worn through to the metal or the checkering has worn smooth or become clogged. I'd do it. Every time when needed.

But I'd never re-colour the colour hardening.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is Rigby today? I'm sure they have fine craftsmen in their employ, but they are not who made that rifle.

Those chaps are gone, and the company that they worked for is as well. To my mind, today's Rigby has to earn their rep on the merits of what they make now. Rigby is just a name, not a guaranty of quality. If they had maintained a continuous lineage to today, I would perhaps feel differently, but sadly, they didn't.

I'd have it looked at by a good name stateside. Several have been mentioned who can do the original Rigby name justice. Or, if it is shootable, maybe just enjoy it as is. There is history in the wear.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
AR folks, thank you again for all the excellent and thoughtful responses. I think there are some really good points that have been brought out for me to consider. If I can figure out how to get permissions, I will post some before and after PIC's..

SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Today's Rigby is owned by Baser. They do not make new rifles in the same class as the old one before WW2 or even what J Roberts & son did until the early 1980s.

The new Rigby Rifles are about 1.5 lbs heavier than the classics.

Another point already mentioned above is that much of the work is outsourced. They do not do a lot of work in-house.

Wesley Richards may do more work in house.

I would love to see photos of your rifle as it is right now and then after all the restoration work is done.

Wish you all the best.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I've learned quite a bit about the rifle. It looks like it was probably built in the mid 80's when Rigby was at the Paul Mead? address in London. That's good news and bad. It would have been great if it were older, but the fact that it was still a London address is a positive. It was probably a custom build for someone. I also learned the Mauser Serial # is 4190. All this information is being relayed, so I will confirm once it is in hand. I spoke with Lon Paul, and he was an enormous help in understanding the history of Rigby a bit better.

SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pall Mall? Surely?

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David A Whipple:
Guys,

I've learned quite a bit about the rifle. It looks like it was probably built in the mid 80's when Rigby was at the Paul Mead? address in London. That's good news and bad. It would have been great if it were older, but the fact that it was still a London address is a positive. It was probably a custom build for someone. I also learned the Mauser Serial # is 4190. All this information is being relayed, so I will confirm once it is in hand. I spoke with Lon Paul, and he was an enormous help in understanding the history of Rigby a bit better.

Sounds like it was built when John or Paul Roberts owned Rigby. It’s a good possibility Mark Renmant built the rifle, and he is currently still at Rigby. Nice guy.

posted Hide Post
Here are some PIC's of the Rigby - Before Restoration

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fQCoSCnZrCMtHm2q2

SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Damn nice rifle. I wouldn't do much, if it were me - just get the tank topped off and hit the field.

posted Hide Post
Good advice, that's the current plan.. Back to Africa it will go..

SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not a matter of who can do the work, a multitude of American are capable..but resale value of the rifle will be out of sight if Rigby does the work, end of story and yes they are a spendy bunch, but I would go that route.

I recently sold such a gun and the new owner sent it to the London firm, and it came back as original with a letter and confirmation of the date it was made and History and he could sell that gun today for $55,000 Im told. and that would double his money. Worth a consideration..

All that said, I would use it as is, that's a damn nice rifle with not much wear, and whats there is honest wear..All it really needs is a rust blue by Rigby IMO, but I personally would just hunt with it as is, it can always be refinished at some point in time if you must.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray, I think that is the route I am going to go with this rifle, although through this thread I was able to meet Lon, and he was very gracious with his time and advice, I will definitely be getting a rifle built by him in the future.

SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most Rigby thing about your rifle is the step receiver ring, slant box magazine, magnum length action, which was the original magnum length action built by Mauser Oberndorf to Rigby's specifications to allow the famous 400/350 Rigby cartridge to be used in a repeating rifle.

In the past, Rigby simply had such a rifle rebored and rechambered to .375 H&H, maintaining the original outside appearance.

Here is my .350 Rigby Magnum, lovingly restored by Lon Paul. No further comment is needed on his workmanship:

[/QUOTE]