THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can original military Mauser crossbolts be used?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering the other day about original military crossbolts, I have a couple I took off a kar 98 8x57 stock I was junking because I liked the way they look. but they are blocks not cylinders that get drilled and inserted. can they be used? how? I know, probably not worth the hassle, but they do look cool

while on it, what do original British sportig rifle crossbolts look like? anybody remake crossbolts in any style other than talley?

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael_Greene
posted Hide Post
Hello Red,
You are correct, probably not worth the hassle, but they do look cool.
May I suggest study the way they were installed in the original stocks, then check with the wood working supplies. Try and find either a "mortise chisel" or "mortise cutter". If not try a correctly sized broch & broaching fixture.
You can probably make these.

It depends on just how much you would like to do this.

All the best.
M. Greene

Posts: 50 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm..I'll have to dig them out later and take another look at them. I think in the front, behind the recoil lug, they wouldn't be that bad. so maybe in rifles that only need one crossbolt. Thanks for the reply.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you speculate, the Mauser 98 crossbolts are designed to install immediately behind the receiver's recoil lug. The rectangular cross-section is designed and dimensioned to fit between the bottom flat of the receiver and the top of the T/G's front guard screw tube, thereby providing a sort of early pillar bedding.

Installing it is a good excuse for making some more chisels, it's not difficult.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote