THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    My dream rifle is hungry! Help me feed it, please!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My dream rifle is hungry! Help me feed it, please!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
Hi folks!

This came to me in a dream... well, almost.

The only short and lightweight rifles I have are factory Remington Model 7s in .223 and .308. They are fun and quick handling, but I mainly bought them for my nephews who use them because they fit their little short arms so well. Now I want my own toys!!
---------------------------------------
So here's my real question...

I'm envisioning a very short and lightweight mountain rifle based on the Remington 700 Titanium. Why that one? Well, it comes with a lightweight stock, it's pillar bedded, and has a cool looking action with a fluted bolt. Factory weight= 5.25 pounds! That's just what I want.

For shits'n'giggle I want it in 300 WSM AND 243 WSSM. (same case head diameter) I want the smaller caliber for practice shooting coyotes and other vermin offhand.

I'd like to have the bolt face opened up a bit and the action face and threads trued.

Pac-nor will install the first barrel and do all the truing for about $440. The second bbl will be $220 plus $50 for installation. Index marks for each bbl will be made.

According to Pac-Nor, the real problem comes from feeding the damn thing from the blind magazine because of the fat cases. [Confused]

Does anybody have a solution for feeding this beauty-to-be?

I appreciate your imput VERY MUCH!! THANKS!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll have to use the Remington SAUM because the WSM cartridge is a tad too long for the short Remington 700 magazine box.

The factories themselves have had the devil getting the two cartridges in the magazine to feed with these oddly-shaped rounds. If you copy the dimensions and contour of the feed rails on a factory SAUM magazine and use a factory follower, your two-shot magazine might possibly be made to feed reliably. Without building a substantially wider magazine box than the one you have, you won't be able to get more than two of the fat cartridges into the magazine. The original prototypes RUM's were two shot affairs, and it took quite a bit of modification to get three into the magazines of the production rifles (some of which still have feeding problems.)

[ 05-21-2003, 18:15: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
skeletonising the sides of the magazine box might work as well. Also, the Rem magazine box can be lengthened enough to take the WSM's. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help fellas. Sounds like a lot of work for either the SAUM or WSM. That's why they call it "custom" right?

I was at Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, Missouri and saw a M700 Titanium in 300 SAUM from Remington's custom shop. The salesman claimed that Remington only built a few of them for Bass Pro. Hmmmm???? I might take a closer look at that rig and see what the Boys in Green came up with.

Thanks again!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote