New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Mini 14 accuracy?
 Login/Join

<t_bob38>
posted
How accurate are these things? Can they be accurized? If so what is the best path?

<Peter>
posted
The standard that Ruger uses is 2" at 50 yards (according to Ed Harris). They can be made slightly more accurate by truing up the gas block (again according to Ed). There are a couple of different systems out there to make these more accurate. One was reviewed in Precision Shooting a few months ago. The problem is that they are all pretty expensive. By the time you add the cost of these to the original cost of the Ruger, you would probably be better of buying something like a Bushmaster in the first place. I have a Ruger, and have just decided to enjoy it the way it is, a plinking gun.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine shot 4" at 100 yards with a 3-9 leuopld.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The phrase "Mini-14 accuracy" is much like "Yugo quality." Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3782 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have a terrible reputation when it comes to accuracy. The barrel apparently heats up fast, and causes a lot of the problems. As Peter said, they can be accurized, but it is pretty expensive. Add in the very high cost of reliable magazines (the only ones that seem to work well are the Ruger factory mags), and it suddenly becomes an expensive rifle.

Good luck.

<t_bob38>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
The standard that Ruger uses is 2" at 50 yards (according to Ed Harris). They can be made slightly more accurate by truing up the gas block (again according to Ed). There are a couple of different systems out there to make these more accurate. One was reviewed in Precision Shooting a few months ago. The problem is that they are all pretty expensive. By the time you add the cost of these to the original cost of the Ruger, you would probably be better of buying something like a Bushmaster in the first place. I have a Ruger, and have just decided to enjoy it the way it is, a plinking gun.
Peter.

Peter, I already have the Ruger, I have the shop equipment and I have about 40 years of gunsmithing experience. I just need a little point in the right direction. I haven't shot mine very much, not on paper at all, but it seems kinda like I can shoot a .45 better with iron sights than I can the mini-14 with a scope. Just my impression, mind you.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
t_bob,try clark gunsmithing,they usually have an ad in the back of most of the gun mags.,boasting thier accurising talents on the mini.I took a different approach and traded my pair on a ar-15,much happier now.Good luck,Clay.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
I don't know where you get your Rugers , but I use mine for chucks to crows with no problems. I don't quite get 1" groups at 100yrds.
Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you get lucky - I didn't believe they'd shoot either, until a friend of mine turned up with one that would shoot 1 moa right out of the box. I stared buying them (and trading them) until the seventh or eighth one I got ahold of shot as well as his.. [Big Grin] ..this ones not for trade! Poor mans gunsmithing at its finest...but I did learn that lapping the bores and trimming those ragged crowns helps quite a bit.

Posts: 5889 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mini 14 & accuracy is an excellent example of an oxymoron! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
tbob38. There are a couple of companies that advertise in Gun List. You might wnat to try them to see what they do. I believe that one is called Accuracy Systems and I believe they have a web site. Try a Google search. The other is also Accuracy something or other! Alternatively, if you have a shop, why not try experimenting with a "boop tube"?
Peter.

<t_bob38>
posted
quote:
tbob38. There are a couple of companies that advertise in Gun List. You might wnat to try them to see what they do. I believe that one is called Accuracy Systems and I believe they have a web site. Try a Google search. The other is also Accuracy something or other! Alternatively, if you have a shop, why not try experimenting with a "boop tube"?
Peter.

A "boop tube"??

<Peter>
posted
A bloop tube is essentially an adjustable weight at the end of the barrel. It is used by rimfire BR shooters to tune their rifle because they cannot tune the ammunition, other than try different makes. The purpose is essentially to vary the nodes of the vibrations of the barrel. The Browning BOSS system is based on the same principle. Just a thought. It is not allowed in high power benchrest shooting, but I believe that some forms of high power rifle shooting may allow it. I believe that at least one of the companies that does work on Mini 14's may employ a device similar to this.
peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I believe that some forms of high power rifle shooting may allow it.

You can use a bloop tube in highpower rifle to mount your sight farther forward for a better sight radius. Additionally they can be used to provide a more muzzle heavy feel if that's what the shooter wants. You cannot use it as a compensator or muzzle brake.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Min-14 will shoot about 2" on a good day at 100 yds. A friend has one that wouldn't shoot 6" until he put a flash hider on it. The flash hider must have just the right weight for that barrel because it brought groups down to 1 1/2".

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
t_bob38. I found my Gun List here are the two companies that advertise:
Accuracy Rifle Systems (Odessa, Tx) 915-362-6840
Accuracy Systems (Aurora, Co) 303-755-3530 or, www.accuracysystemsinc.com.
Let us know how you make out. The Ruger Mini 14 certainly could use some (inexpensive) accuracy improvements!
Peter.

<Crow>
posted
quote:
t_bob38. I found my Gun List here are the two companies that advertise:
Accuracy Rifle Systems (Odessa, Tx) 915-362-6840
Accuracy Systems (Aurora, Co) 303-755-3530 or, www.accuracysystemsinc.com.
Let us know how you make out. The Ruger Mini 14 certainly could use some (inexpensive) accuracy improvements!
Peter.

<Crow>
posted
oops.........

And I have a horror story about the Odessa outfit, will be glad to e-mail it to anyone that wants it.

rtjonesva1@tds.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
mini 14 accuracy?

An Oxi-Moron.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have a stainless "K" model mini-14 that shoots about 2-3" with iron sights and good U.S. mil ammunition. Had (emphasis on 'had') a ranch rifle with a 3-9x scope. It was lucky to get 4" groups with handloads!

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend lost $20 to a guy at the range a few years ago about Mini-14 accuracy. The guy bet him his stock rifle would shoot 5 rounds into 1" at 100 yds. Well He was really anxious to get that $20 and took the bet. The guy proceeded to shoot one round, wait 5 min and shoot the next. At the end of 20 min he had a nice 1" group. The problem is the location of the gas block, the type of powder in the 223 and the way the gas block heats the barrel.
I've had 5 of them and sold them all. I carry an AK or SKS in the truck.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well for the money they are a good plinker but I would suggest to get yourself an AR-15. My factory Bushmaster with a 4x14 power scope will shoot half inch at a hundred with factory ammo. And the comment from Dr. Duc regarding carring a AK or SKS. Not much better. I would take a Mini over AK P.O.S anyday. SKS will shoot a 3 inch group at a 100 yards and the AK keep trying. You'll never see that. I know I have tried.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<dickens>
posted
try this it worked on my mini 14 take a .250 rubber pad any kind of rubber and put a 1" scope ring in the middle of the barrel with rubber for a padding to make it fit. mine went from 3" at 100yds to 1".

<G.Malmborg>
posted
As has been stated, the Mini-14 is not known to be a highly accurate weapon. It is not a target weapon. It is a rugged, reliable little ranch rifle, capable of being dragged through the dirt, and on occasion, probably hitting something. Just kidding.
[Smile]

The Mini-14 is loose, sloppy and is designed to be so. It is designed along the lines of the M-14 which is an excellent, but heavy, battle rifle, capable of shooting anything, under any condition. They are designed to put rounds down range. They were never "designed" to deliver pinpoint accuracy. When pinpoint accuracy was required, they would employ a bolt action, or, a completely rebuilt, highly modified and tightened, M-14 to do the job.

The same can be done to the Mini-14 but it is almost not worth the cost involved. There is a former Marine named Chief A.J. who does some remarkeable work and things with Mini-14's. It will generally cost a lot of money to bring one close to what is already capable from one of the various AR-15 models. Unless you are just fascinated with the design of the Mini-14 and must have one that is a tac driver, your money would be better spent on one of the AR-15 models. My preference of course is the Bushmaster, but most any of them are better suited for accuracy by design, than is the Mini-14. If someone does have a stock Mini-14 that shoots 1 MOA, hang on to it, it is rare and might have collector value.
[Smile]

Regards,

Malm

<eldeguello>
posted
Mini-14: ACCURACY POOR!! Can be improved at some expense by those companies that do such work on the Mini's!1 Usually requires a different barrel!! [Frown]

posted Hide Post
In my experiance, if your barell twist is 1 in 9 or faster you will not get good accuracy unless you use heavy bullets. I load 60gr VMaxs and 69gr Sierra Matchkings, with Varget for powder, and can get 1" @ 100yds. The 55gr off-the-shelf loads won't stabelize in my fast twist Mini14 Ranch. The heavier bullets have slower velosity and longer bearing serfaces to help stabelize it. Just my observations, but it worked for me.
Good Luck

Fun ain't it.

Posts: 14 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 February 2003Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
Thanks for all your comments. I'll get on it shortly I hope. My rifle has a 1 in 14" twist so I probably won't even be trying any real long bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several Mini's with mil bal they are 1.5 to 2.5 in rifles. I have shot quite a few others they are 1.5 to 2.5 rifles with mil ball. Most M16 ar15 are the same with mil ball. I have shot a lot of them also. I have seen one mini that wouldn't shoot at all 8 in or so. That one was sent back Ruger put a new barrel on it. It shoots around 2 inchs now.
I have shot some sub 1 in groups with a ranch rifle and 52 gr serria match bullets. But it well not do it all the time.
Ruger Mini 14's are not match rifles but what they are are good tough simi auto's that are very useful for selfdefense and smaller varmits to 200 yards or so. I wouldn't be afraid to take any yote I see out to 250 300 and be sure that it well be a dead yote with one shot. I have shot many rounds at 300 yards and would have no trouble placeing hits on selfdefense targets that far away or even farther.
One was the funnist things I saw was a freind of mine take a IPSC rifle shoot with a mini away from a lot of hot ARs one day. All the AR owners were not happy.

They are just a plain tough useful rifle.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote