New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Ring
 Login/Join

<BEJ>
posted
How serious to human body parts is a black barrel ring (inside), and noticable on the outside, three inches from the muzzle, on a .30 caliber rifle??

<JBelk>
posted
BEJ---

I've never seen a bulged barrel fail anywhere downstream of the rear sight location.

At three inches from the muzzle it *might* even shoot well.

<BEJ>
posted
I haven't shot it. It is a military surplus gun and I cleaned it up and found the defect when inspecting it. Is the gun worth keeping with this defect??

<JBelk>
posted
BEJ---

To give an opinion on whether it's worth keeping it would nice to know what you have and what you want to use it for.

The ring was caused by shooting the rifle with a bore obstruction. Sometimes the very best M-98 actions are found on bent, bulged, or rusted barrels.

Remember-- The country that got rid of that rifle did it for a reason. The ring in the bore may have been that reason and the gun is excellent otherwise.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I won't be happy with it on any of my rifles

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the ring is only 3 inches from the muzzle, then you've likely got enough length left for a viable barrel if you cut and recrown. As Belk says, it may shoot just fine like it is, and is not dangerous in any way. At any rate, nothing about the rifle is in any way affected other than the last 3 inches of barrel.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
I have had to scratch my head at times over how well guns with barrels that are buldged back a short distance from the muzzle shoot. You would also be amazed how many spiders webs have screwed up good barrels.

As a general guide for those new to the sport, if you store ANY weapon for any period of time, it would not hurt to give it a "once thru" with a patch before taking it out shooting...

Malm

<BEJ>
posted
The gun is a 1941 Sako, M39, in excellent condition, and it would just be another shooter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably caused by shooting with oil in barrel. My friend bought a rifle with 2 such rings mid way along the bore despite me warning him to inspect for that exact thing. Shot fine.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote