New
Find
Notify
Tools

PTG Obendorf Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone here used the PTG obendorf bottom metals?

What is the consensus regarding quality, fit and finish?

Unfortunately we are struggling to get bottom metals in South Africa and PTG is the only company willing to export.

Posts: 399 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not used any PT&G bottom metal, but having used a few other of their offerings I'd not expect their bottom metal to be on par with Swift/Blackburn or Sunny Hill. I will add, that as a company, they can be a pain to deal with.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered one once, sent it back.

Posts: 764 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was not overly impressed with the 700 "Oberndorf" bottom metal I bought for a customers build.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the PTG assembly that I had experience with is a representative sample their bottom metal is an easy pass.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies.

Was the issues cosmetic or functional?

Like I said we are struggling to find suitable alternatives. To have them made in SA is simply not cost effective.

Posts: 399 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Garbage. Both the PTG and the Hawkins.
I had 3 PTG Oberndorf bottoms Rem. 700. 28 Nosler,30 Nosler and 33 Nosler, The floorplates on all would open on recoil due to insufficient release lever engagement with the floorplate.
I fixed them to keep the job alive. I tig welded and refit the release levers, went to stronger springs with a .030 wire diameter. Reamed the hinge pin holes made oversized pins for the hinges. This fixed them.
The Hawkins went on a M70 in 404. It didn't open on recoil due to the fact the release is the button release. The hinge tolerances where loose and sloppy, it too was corrected with oversize pins.
If you want a good bottom metal for a Rem. 700 with a bow lever release get a Badger Ordinance, more money for sure, made of steel far better quality, no mucking around rebuilding it.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
I had 3 PTG Oberndorf bottoms Rem. 700. 28 Nosler,30 Nosler and 33 Nosler, The floorplates on all would open on recoil due to insufficient release lever engagement with the floorplate.
I fixed them to keep the job alive. I tig welded and refit the release levers, went to stronger springs with a .030 wire diameter. Reamed the hinge pin holes made oversized pins for the hinges. This fixed them.
The Hawkins went on a M70 in 404. It didn't open on recoil due to the fact the release is the button release. The hinge tolerances where loose and sloppy, it too was corrected with oversize pins.
If you want a good bottom metal for a Rem. 700 with a bow lever release get a Badger Ordinance, more money for sure, made of steel far better quality, no mucking around rebuilding it.

Thank you Timan!

I am looking for steel M70 and Mauser 98s. Does not seem like Badger do those models.

Once again many thanks for all the help. Back to the drawing board...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:

Like I said we are struggling to find suitable alternatives. To have them made in SA is simply not cost effective.

They are great if you the self dump feature they use. Pull the trigger and the floorplate auto opens and empties on the ground!

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
quote:

They are great if you the self dump feature they use. Pull the trigger and the floorplate auto opens and empties on the ground!

They sure do. I shot this spot and stalk black bear a couple of years ago. Followed him after the shot into the timber. He was propped up against a log and I kicked him in the hip. He promptly turned and growled at me so I shot him again. Quickly cycling the bolt dumped the entire magazine onto my boots. Luckily none were urgently needed.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bear is a beast Chuck! Congratulations.

DRSS

Posts: 1973 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thank you Timan!

I am looking for steel M70 and Mauser 98s. Does not seem like Badger do those models.

I will assume the interest in the M70 or M98 is due to those being CRF actions.
Since you are back at the drawing board select available components made to supply the largest sector of the bolt rifle market for reasons of component availability, This sector would be all that revolves around the Remington 700 and 700 clone market.

Select the Mausingfield as it is a CRF action. The Mausingfield can be purchased with an open top and set up for BDL hinged bottom metal.
The Badger bottom will go right on the Mausingfield no problem. The badger bottom is steel and very well made as is the Mausingfield receiver and bolt.
It's very likely this will easily make up to a 416 Rem. Mag. and as said earlier it's a CRF design and a very reliable fixed blade ejector system.
I have handled a number of rifles based on the Mausingfield, my initial feeling was, "I hate that bolt knob" but after cycling the action for a while and really looking at the reasons for the shape of that bolt knob it became quite clear to me that weird shape accommodates about every conceivable way you want to think about manipulating the bolt.
It's utility is it's beauty, form follows function.
As far as stocks go the 700 platform is so widely supported from all perspectives, the choices are almost endless.
In the case of a deep magazine rifle for 4+1 capacity Sunnyhill makes one in both carbon steel and stainless steel and it fits all 700 platforms including the Mausingfield CRF.
A 3 position safety will not be possible. I don't see this as much of a factor considering literally millions of hunters and shooters are using the two position trigger safeties with success both in the controlled environment of the range and in the field.
There's no denying it, the 700 clones have taken over. How you choose to configure one is not limited as it relates to a rifle that will get it done in a safe and reliable manner.
The parts are definately out there. The M70's and M98's are doing their best to die simply because very little market also means very little support from manufacturers.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thank you Timan!

I will assume the interest in the M70 or M98 is due to those being CRF actions.
Since you are back at the drawing board select available components made to supply the largest sector of the bolt rifle market for reasons of component availability, This sector would be all that revolves around the Remington 700 and 700 clone market.

Select the Mausingfield as it is a CRF action. The Mausingfield can be purchased with an open top and set up for BDL hinged bottom metal.
The Badger bottom will go right on the Mausingfield no problem. The badger bottom is steel and very well made as is the Mausingfield receiver and bolt.
It's very likely this will easily make up to a 416 Rem. Mag. and as said earlier it's a CRF design and a very reliable fixed blade ejector system.
I have handled a number of rifles based on the Mausingfield, my initial feeling was, "I hate that bolt knob" but after cycling the action for a while and really looking at the reasons for the shape of that bolt knob it became quite clear to me that weird shape accommodates about every conceivable way you want to think about manipulating the bolt.
It's utility is it's beauty, form follows function.
As far as stocks go the 700 platform is so widely supported from all perspectives, the choices are almost endless.
In the case of a deep magazine rifle for 4+1 capacity Sunnyhill makes one in both carbon steel and stainless steel and it fits all 700 platforms including the Mausingfield CRF.
A 3 position safety will not be possible. I don't see this as much of a factor considering literally millions of hunters and shooters are using the two position trigger safeties with success both in the controlled environment of the range and in the field.
There's no denying it, the 700 clones have taken over. How you choose to configure one is not limited as it relates to a rifle that will get it done in a safe and reliable manner.
The parts are definately out there. The M70's and M98's are doing their best to die simply because very little market also means very little support from manufacturers.

Thanks for the wonderful insight and opinion Timan, it is much appreciated.

You are 100% correct. The world is moving towards the Rem 700 style actions. Even here in SA, there is aftermarket options falling out of every nook and cranny.

Our firearm laws are slightly more complex than you guys so in the past we would bring in barreled actions with no work done on them save for chambering the barrel and fitting to the action. Everything else was left to the various gunsmiths and customers. In a sense we are lucky in that we do not have the huge array of calibres that you guys have. You can bring in 10 or so of the popular calibres and turn your money easily within 45-60 days.

However, there still is that small demand for classic custom rifles which no one wants to satisfy. As a manufacturer I am sure you understand the economics of producing these niche items.

The trend of moving towards Rem 700 style in the States has basically killed the availability of parts for the classic customs based on the 98 and M70. The usual exporters such as Brownells no longer keeps Sunny Hill, Dakota, etc.

In a way this is sad because in my eyes, the beauty of the work the guys like yourself, MNR, Duane Wiebe, Wisner, Anderson etc are the epitome of exquisite craftsmanship! I hope your customers value and treasure the work you guys do!