Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brazilian Mauser
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone tell me if 98 Mausers were actually made in Brazil at any stage and if so, the time frame. Did the European manufactured 98s made for Brazil have Portuguese writing on the left rail? Just trying to identify an action that has been used on a custom job that's for sale. Thanks guys.

Posts: 21 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 10 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The Model 1908 was made for Brazil by DWM. The left rail will read " Deutsche Waffen und Munitionfabriken Oberndorf aN". The "aN" means (on the Neker) This has never made since since it was the Mauser plant that was located on the Necker river not DWM.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that some 09 Argentines were made in South America somewhere, and I think it could be possible that the same plant made some actions for Brazil, but I am just guessing here.

Another Brazilian Action was made at Oberndorf in 1935 along with other South American contracts for places such as Chile, etc. If the action you are looking at was one of those it would be a very desireable find. If it is a 1908 action it is also a desireable find so long as you are aware that those actions were a bit on the soft side and may (notice I said may) in time have changes in headspace if you shoot heavy high pressure loads in them.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
DWM was a company and not a place or factory per se, it owned the Oberndorf Mauser plant on the Neckar river through what transpired in 1887 with the Turkish Mauser order when Ludwig Loewe took over the whole Mauser shareholding. the precursor to DWM was born when Ludwig Loewe buys DML ( Lorenz )in 1889 to form DMK with their ammo factory in Grotzingen.

DWM is the name change that follows in 1896 with the main ammo plant at Borgeswilde Berlin.
Ludiwg Loewes Mauser shares are transferred to DWM at this time so now Mauser is DWM owned.

The origins of the Brazilian mausers come when Mauser Oberndorf get the contract for these between 1893 and 1896 and because they were still completing the Turkish order pass production to the DWM plant in Berlin. Some Brazilians were made at Oberndorf AN

Great info Alf. Thanks that clears things up a lot. thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Yes, this one actually has the word Brazil and another couple of words (in Portuguese or Spanish .... guessing here) on the left rail where you would expect the manufacturers name.

Posts: 21 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 10 July 2004Reply With Quote