New
Find
Notify
Tools

Side scope mount for a Mauser 98?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got this action that is pitted below or at the woodline, but has a very strong, nice crest and is otherwise fine. I'm looking for a side scope mount for the action that would allow me to preserve the crest while also concealing a bit of the pitting right below the GEW 98. Who makes such a mount, and where would I find one?

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
New England custom guns. NECG

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal Arms Corp was importing from China AK47 side mounts with integral 1" rings.

Lots of companies do that, but these were steel.
When cut in half, they weld right onto steel receivers.

I got some, but when FAC gave up the ghost, due to BATF harassment, the parts went somewhere else on the internet, but I can't remember where.

I built a fixture for welding them; plates with parallel V cuts. These clamped on a bolt bore mandrel and a scope bore mandrel.

If you find those FAC mounts, tell me.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
griffin & howe, griffinhowe.com. Ideal for your purpose, immensely expensive.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am watching this thread, waiting for someone to come up with an affordable suggestion. I love the side scope mounts, but the price -

OUCH!

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
How about these? Only 200 bucks & they are steel!

Side Mounts

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Watch ebay for an Echo QD sidemount for Mauser, they show up from time to time. itto Pachmayr swinging mount. There are also detachable sidemounts by WEaver and Williams still in Brownell catalog, no 59.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I have used Williams side mounts with HCO rings on Mannlicher-Schoenauers, as well as Griffin & Howe and Jaeger QD sidemounts on M/S's, Mausers & Model 70 Winchesters. NECG still lists Jaeger side mounts, and I think they also make their own design (EEAW's??). I had a Jaeger on a Model 70 .375 H&H, and although these only have one locking lever, it was enough!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Griffin & Howe sidemounts and top mounts. I would not use anything else: they always return to zero, for me anyway, and they are not that expensive; I think aroud 500-600 for the side mount with 30mm rings

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote