Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minor Repair & Touchups Help
 Login/Join

posted
I need some advice on how to touch up some scratches and dings that my rifle has acquired on the stock and the barrel. I know most people would just ignore these but everytime I look at them it makes my stomach knot up...so here are a couple of pictures and any advice you can lend would be greatly appreciated.

posted Hide Post
Here are some of the dings alongside the stock...

posted Hide Post
And, here is by far the worst of the damage..this one is actually into the wood and may require further attention..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not much help because of the difficulty of effecting a minor repair without it being conspicuous. The stock is best completely refinished as it looks like it is now varnish finished. Use a finish (paint)remover, sand out the scratches, and refinish with Tru Oil, which is more easily repaired in the future.
The barrel scratches can only be subdued, not made to disappear. Usual directions for cold blue are degrease, heat the surface (hair dryer), and apply blueing solution (Q-Tip) as precisely as possible. Apply oil to the barrel to retain blueing. Results will not be like new but will ease your concern.