New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: D'Arcy Echols Legend stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Stock looks a little bit too stubby in the forend to put a sling swivel base into it.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chuck....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ooooh, Ooooh, Ooooh,
Dat's nice.
Me get M70 action, gooder barrel, and better gooder bottom metal.
Den me pull out Visa card and call NECG.
Finally I sen' de whole mess to Mr. Olsen or Mr. Penrod and wait for UPS truck to come back.
Den I be a berry happy Charlie.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your welcome, but you should really be thanking Allen.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Stock looks a little bit too stubby in the forend to put a sling swivel base into it.

The third picture does give that impression, but I think that is just a case of distorted perspective. If you look at the top picture, everything looks proportional.

BTW you can always put the sling swivel on the end of the fore-arm; that keeps it away from your hand under recoil, and helps the rifle sit lower when slung.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Big Dog, those bases and rings are built from scratch by D'Arcy Echols. The lower ring half and base are of one-piece, milled-steel construction. There are four top-mounted Torx screws securing the top half of the rings to the based. D'Arcy sizes these ring/base sets to fit the individual scope. It is a good-looking setup, and incredibly strong.

Blue, yes I do, plus I have one in .416 Remington.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about the ring/base setup on the second rifle, they are a nice setup aren't they.

Their price tag might make you crap, but the good news is that the price includes everything that sits under them as well.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Just ignore ANYTHING RMK has to say. He is just another angry asshole who seems to think the world owes him something.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, are those one off bases and rings or are those stock items? Are they sized Model 70 Classic Magnum? (I'm looking for bases and rings for my M1999 Long, Magnum and those look great).

Thanks....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Robertson summed it up best. McMillan is trying to pay for everything without taking any risk plus make a huge profit. This mindset is pretty common with Mcmillan. I've lost count of how many gunsmiths,I've heard say that McMillan stocks are great,the problem is the owners are a bunch of assholes.

Twenty grand is fuckin' insane and Echols out of pocket exspense of 30 grand is a real joke. When you consider that there probably isn't 20 dollars worth of materials used in a fiberglass stock,especially since everything is bought in bulk. Then you have Mcmillan wanting the public to pay for the mold 5 times over at least,then a order of at least 100 stocks. Say the stocks go for a conservative 300 dollars,thats fifty grand for not doing anything. Every business would like this type of profit and operational exspense.

As soon as Echols offered this stock design as a part,he left himself open to having this design copied. The dimentions are there in the open and available to anybody willing to fabricate this stock and there is no shortage of guys like Robertson who have the means and ability to do so.

On top of this,there simply isn't anything really special about the stock. You'll hear all kinds of fairy tales about how wonderful and mythical it is. I've had the oppurtunity to shoot a legend in 300 win mag and the stock didn't handle any better then the super grade design.I've shot plenty of stock configurations and there is little differance in shoot ability and managed recoil among the super grade,Millers Lt design,remingtons classic and Brownells M77.

Mostly what you have,is guys trying to justify why they spent 10 grand on a refurbished M70. Judging by some of the comments made by echols,sales aren't all that hot either.The Factory is now even using spring steel extractors,which leaves you with what? The super special echols magazine design,scope mounts,super special stock and widely available Kreiger barrel.

Try checking prices on having dies made for drop-hammer forgings. We've spent over $40,000.00 on two sets of dies in the last 12 years for just these trigger guard forgings pictured below.

I'm not an expert on injection mold dies, but I know they last much longer than forging dies, and in our contracts with our forging vendors, the price includes the maintenance and refurbishing of the dies. But, with all that said, that's a helluva lot of money to cough up.

It's enough that I've seriously considered doing the work myself, but the location we're in wouldn't allow it. It tends to be a little on the noisy side. It may however be a reality in our new facility, but for now?????

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes george thats the result of all those free blow jobs your old lady gives me. I've just lost all respect for paying for things.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think so......(sigh)

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just pokin' fun Chuck, doesn't that mean you're gonna have to shoot right handed?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, It I'll just say it, It makes the others look like kitchen help.

I have had the Super Grade and the G&H, they are compromises, the Legend is not. It is the Best hunting rifle stock period. As for the recoil side, the largest bore I have one on is a 375H&H and that rifle is wonderful even on the bench. I dont think any gun handle of normal weight would make the 458 Lott into a 222.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy's Legend stock makes other mcmillan's feel like shovel handles. And that includes the supergrade and especially the G&H. This is a stock that was designed by someone who actually knows something about custom rifles and designing parts to be part of a whole, that functions together. I've been lucky enough to shoot legends from 300 H&H to .416 remington. And I have shot a variety of rifles with mcmillan's other stocks, there is no comparsion. If you want a synthetic stock for a M70 or Montana, save yourself the time and hassle and just call D'Arcy.

I am now stepping down off my soapbox.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this any better?

Chuck