New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt nose contacting barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a recently rebarreled Model 70 push feed. I just saw that the bolt nose is dragging on the back of the barrel mostly on the face of the bottom lug. Will this harm accuracy? The rifle is not shooting as well as I expected an aftermarket barrel to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me the Smith set the face distance a little close.

And it depends on how much and how hard it's dragging.

Personally I'd take the barrel off and face it back about .010" for clearance then reassemble and check from there.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
You could safely sand/polish the bolt nose back a touch to get the clearance. It it were much more that a thousandth or two you would have to use a lot of force to close the bolt.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
will definitely harm accuracy

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought about sanding or stoning the bolt face some. I think I would be happier with a little more clearance though. The barrel will come off.

I thought the bolt operated a little to hard. Yesterday I had the firing pin out and was going to adjust the resizing die. I was looking for a little "feel" when I got the shoulder of the case in the right place. Trouble is, I had "feel" with nothing in the chamber and started looking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
0.005" = minimum, 0.010" = maximum IMO.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
It could be slop in the bolt handle allowing the bolt to contact the breech face when there is no round in the chamber and the safety is on middle position. This wouldn't hurt accuracy at all.

Take the firing pin assembly out and close the bolt. Does it move back and forth?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1844 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No. It's tight as a tick.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I only suggested removing the barrel as there is a concern with accuracy. This would afford you the opportunity to examine the chamber at the same time.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could safely sand/polish the bolt nose back a touch to get the clearance. It it were much more that a thousandth or two you would have to use a lot of force to close the bolt.

X2 tu2

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at it again and the bolt face is pretty rough. Just polishing the tool marks out will probably fix it. I guess that is the easiest!

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, the "bolt Face" is what the cartridge base is held against when the cartridge rim is under the extractor and cartridge is chambered. I think you're referring to the bolt "nose" which is the raised portion surounding the bolt face, right? You can take a couple thousandths off that with no effect, but if you take a couple off the "bolt face" you could end up with excess headspace.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are so right John.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, bolt nose! I started out right in my original post and confused myself.