Find
Notify
Tools

Headspace Gauge Preference?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
Looking for any recommendations for Headspace Gauge Recommendations. i.e. Manson, Clymer, Forster, etc.. Well aware the important thing is not to mix and match between a given chambering. Looking for any qualified input on why you prefer one over the other...

I've been using Manson and Clymer, however, I really like the Forster Match sets in .223 Remington and .308 Winchester with 10 "gages" per chambering in .001" increments. That said I've had not experience with their product. Your qualified input would be greatly appreciated...

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
Why in the world would you need sets per each caliber? Buy a go gauge from one of the above and chamber to it. I have some home made shims that I use with the gauge to check excess.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
I was specifically going for the sets in order to check headspace between various barrels for my Accuracy International AWP in .308 Winchester. It has a few different barrels and headspace passes when each is torqued to 120 foot pounds, however, the bolt does not stop in exactly the same spot on each barrel. Hence I figured I could work with a number, in .001" increments, and not simply go and no go to differiate headspace on each barrel...

They taught us to use tape at The School of Trades, however, a precision ground headspace guage is a quicker and more precise method or so I was thinking...

Open for input...

Regards, Matt Garrett.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Matt,

This is the set I use for the .308.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=6635

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes sense.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a go gauge and check it with a Stoney point guage. You can use once fired brass to make up guages of other lengths and check them with the Stoney point guage.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote