New
Find
Notify
Tools

? on maching integral rib and sling swivel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a couple questions on the machining sequence of an integral rib and sling swivel on a rifle barrel.

First, I have seen a couple of rifles with these features and was wondering in what order is the barrel machined.

And second, what is the effect on accuracy?
I understand these these rifles are used for hunting and not target shooting.

But it would be interesting to take a barrel blank, thread, chamber and crown the barrel.
Put in on a test action and extablish a base line off accuracy.

Machine the barrel and retest for accuracy.

Hal

Posts: 164 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hal,
Maybe somebody here can remember Duane Weibe doing an intregel quarter rib and showing the method that he used. You might do a search on this gunsmithing forum and look at the photos. It ain't the same as a full rib, but maybe the same method could be used.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch , did a search and I'm still reading. Smiler

Hal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hal H: By now, you've noticed there haven't been many responses to your question. I personally think such "instructions" are beyond the scope of this forum.

Do you have a lot of experience working with a Bridgeport? That would help a lot. Are you willing to ruin the first half dozen barrels just to smooth out the learning curve?

I see that Sunny Hills is offering machined barrels at a VERY attractive price. I think Lothar also has some bargains.

Most professionals, doing a "one off" will get around $3500.00 and up....and they're not laughing on the way to the bank!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
I don't know Hal's machining ability, But he has the machines that just make my mouth water. He knows good machinery and acquires it. That does not translate into a gunsmith or a top machinest.
I completely agree with you about them not racing to the bank with a bucket full of money.
I have around 45 hours in my octagon island rear iron sight. Ain't no telling how long it would take me to do an intregel front and quarter rib. I would go to Shilen's and buy some barrel steel from them to practice on. No, I ain't gonna try it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Is the one piece barrel/rib part of the reason that the Ruger RSM's are as expensive as they are?? I would only imagine that Ruger has pretty much state of the art machine tools??

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane

I didn't realy expect detailed instructions, just a general idea. There is so much information here thanks to guys like yourself.
These forums Q & A topic are great for learning and it never hurts to ask.

I thought you would machine the Top or Rib first ( that way if there was an error Smiler, you would still have 7 more chances. before you ended up with a rib less octagon barrel) 8).

second step, spin the barrel 180 and do the bottom and the
sling swivel.

turn 90 and do the side ,180 and so on.

I wasn't sure if one side was cut to full depth or just partial depth before doing the opposite side.

No I don't have experience running a mill and I Know it would have been cheaper to buy the barrel than to buy a mill, but I wanted to machine one for myself.

Besides learning machining keeps me out of trouble, out of the bars and away from loose women... and a divorce.
It's just a cheaper hobby in the long run. Smiler

NOW if I had a nice Grandpa like Butch (spoiling his grandkid with custom guns...) it might be a whole different story.

Butch you need to post a few more pictures of work in progress.

Hal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah well...don't know how others do it, but I leave the top to last..here, the angle at the juncture of the barrel body and the rib changes..quite a bit..becomes "steeper"...keep notes!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Stratton did a good write up in Gunmaker about machining an octagonal barrel with an integral rib.
This might still be available from Amercan Custom Gunmakers Guild or Mark Stratton himself.

Ian