New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Exotic Stockwood
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine might have to cut down a big pear tree in his yard and I´ve asked him for the wood -I might be able to get a few blanks out of it.

Has anyone used pear for a stock?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have milled pear a couple of times. Ireally do not know how the wood reachs or how strong it is. It did not see mto strong and the saws actually got a little gummy from the wood, and that was not due to sap, but the wood was very wet. I had some burl apple that was the same way.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of obwhan
posted Hide Post
333 check your email I sent you some pic's Al

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER: USNR (ADCS/AW/SW) I have wonderer at times what the TEN COMMAMDMENT'S would look like if Moses had run them through the US congress

Posts: 95 | Location: Whidbey Island Wa | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I have found it went looking in uvalde and found a plank of mesquite 3 inches thick cut two very well figured blanks from it today one is exceptional the other is very good and I have enough left for a number one or over under stock.
gave 100 for it hows that sound?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several Koa stocked rifles. Several blanks left but going quick for personal stuff mostly. I don`t know how to post pictures but if someone is interested email me and I`ll send you the pictures to post. What is said is true about Koa. Kamake [Ukeleles] still use the good stuff as does Heritage in Hawaii. There isn`t much available anymore. I even have one last Mannlicher length blank I will probably never use. Anyway, if anyone wants pictures let me know.
Aloha, Mark [in Or]
kailuacustom@msn.com

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are pictures Iam posting of a Koa stock for Bohica.
I'll let Mark tell teh story.

The World Would Be A Happier Place If Everyone Owned At Least One Ruger #1.

Posts: 71 | Location: Behind the Orange Curtain, Kalifornia | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
kailuacustom@msn.com

Okay, maybe not exotic like I started on this thread, but not common any longer either. love this wood!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ironbark, the hardest commercially used timber in the world.

Posts: 45 | Location: Sydney,Australia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I like Myrtle wood - properly seasoned!~

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
A friend of mine might have to cut down a big pear tree in his yard and I´ve asked him for the wood -I might be able to get a few blanks out of it.

Has anyone used pear for a stock?

I haven't used it for a stock yet. But I dropped a 35 yr old Bradford Pear about 7 months ago and we managed to slab out around 200+ board feet of 5/4x12" lumber. We did think to keep one peice 2-1/2" thick that I might be able to get a sporter stock oout of (If I can find someone that has a stockmaking operation - I don'tthink I could carve one). First tries at making projects with it indicate plenty of figure and "curly" tigerstripe. It's great looking and seems like it will take stain well. Time will tell.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Good old English Walnut is probably still my favorite, though Bastogne can also be amazing.

Some years ago I made a coffee table out of a central american wood called Primavera. Look like a blond mahongony with quite a bit of fiddleback. Seemed pretty nice to work with too. Might make a nice blond stock.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I think I just love American woods. I deal in a lot of exotics, including koa, bubinga, zebra, lace, and others, but the BLACK WALNUT above really gets me going. However, if you can find exeptionally figured cherry I might also be interested!

one of us
posted Hide Post
obwhan, I make knives (at least that is what I say to customers). I buy the blades and then add the handle, hilt, etc and form, fit, and finish them. Your handle looks a lot like the mesquite burl I get here in the San Antonio area. Have used mesquite burl, myrtle, walnut, Texas iron wood, spalted maple, Axis deer and elk antler.

The Tx iron wood is gorgeous if you like dark, dark wood--buffs and polishes up almost like metal does, and all it takes to finish it is a coat or two of Johnson's paste wax buffed to a gloss. Does eat up saw blades cutting the scales from the big hunk though.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try http://www.hunterbid.com for walnut from Turkey,etc.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
No offense, but turkish/english walnut is not exotic. It might be very expensive, but not really exotic.