Find
Notify
Tools

rechambering a 8x57
 Login/Join

<Martin BN>
posted
Hi,
I'm currently thinking of making a 8 mm wildcat based on either the .376 steyr or the .425 Westley Richards. I like both cases very much though they will be hard to get a hold of. What would be the cheapest and most likely not to give to much trouble to rechamber a 8x57 to?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with a simple 8mmx06 or 8mm-06 IMP.

Cases are simple to make, and dies do not cost a fortune either.

The 8mmx06 rivals the 338-06 that has become so popular recently.

------------------
May I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure your not creating a nightmare by useing a case that may not be around that long (the 376) or a case that cost 5 times as much as a standard case (425)....

Why not go with the 338 Win. case or the new Rem 300 ultra case, based on the imp. 404 case, something thats inexpensive and readily available...

My choice would be the 8mm-06 Imp. as mentioned by Terry, as that will maintain the integrity of the Mauser action, and save you mega bucks in conversion cost, and your still in the velocity ballpark as your wildcat choices.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41851 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
If it�s not absolutely necessary to have a real wild-cat, I would propose a german standard 8 mm: the 8x68S. Stronger than .300 Weath with 2800 fps with 225 grains.

Fritz K.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Martin BN>
posted
Thanks for the replies.
Just a few words to explain my ideas.
The reason I wanted to use one of the mentioned cases is that it will be possible to rechamber a 8x57. With the .376 Steyr the boltface needs to be opened slightly. They both offer greater capacity than the 06 imp. and I don't need a magnum bolt. If I wanted a magnum I would go with the wonderfull 8x68s as Frits suggest. Regarding case availability the .376 is based on the 9,3x64 which will always be around. The cost of the .425 will be bigger but then I don't need to have the boltface opened. This would't be a rifle that I would shoot all day long at the range so I would't need that many cases. With a custom reamer and custom dies it will still be a lot more expensive than the 8mm-06 or 8x68s.
A couple of questions at the end:
Cost of custom reamer + die?
Velocityrange of 8mm-06 imp.?

Regards
Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin,

Sounds like you already knew the answer.

What sort of rifle is it.

By the way, if you use Bertam brass for an 8mm/425 you might not get as much velocity as you think.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Martin BN>
posted
Hi Mike,
Rifle is a BRNO made mauser action. Don't remember the model. These can be picked up cheap in gunshops in both Denmark and Sweden. It has a staight wood stock and a double trigger set. Whats wrong with the Bertram brass?

Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin,

The Bertram cases can be extremely soft.

Altough, "in theory" the 425 Westley Richards has claimed ballistics that are about what you would expect from a case of that capacity on that bore size.

That is a different situation to other calibers that Bertram make brass for like 450 Nitro, 500 Nitro, 500 Jeffrey, 505 Gibbs, 475 No 2 Nitro, 577 Nitro etc. With these calibers the pressures required to match original ballistics are so low that you could probably use cases made of plastic In fact if you loaded these calibers up you would break your neck with the recoil before you got to any higher pressures

So again "in theory" the Bertram 425 WR cases should stand up to reasonable pressures as the ballistics, bore diamter and case capacity are roughly in line with the 416 Remington.

Having said all of that, I would not have a caliber based on Bertram brass whereby high velocity/performance was the main objective.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike375 (edited 11-06-2001).]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 425 Westley Richards case with the severly rebated rim equals feeding nightmares.

There is credit to having the brass headstamp match the chambering.

Read Harald Wolf's article a few issues back in Hatari Times about building a nice 8x68S on a 1909 Argentine action. If I were in Europe, the 8x68S would be my choice.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Martin BN>
posted
John,
I did read the article and like the 8x68s very much, I just wanted something a little bit smaller, that would fit a standard boltface. About having the headstamp match the chambering that's a bit difficult if you like playing around with wildcats.

Regards
Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin

There is a "new" round advertised: the 8x64S Brenneke. Actually developed by Wihelm Brenneke in 1912. They claim it to be an easy rechambering from 8x57 to 8x64S.
Performance is something between 30/06 and 8x68.

Look at the homepage www.brenneke.de section "Neuheiten". Sorry only german info available.

Franz

Posts: 202 | Location: Vienna/Austria | Registered: 04 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Martin BN>
posted
Franz,
Thanks for the tip. My german isn't very good. Is this one based on the 7x64 or the 9,3x64 case?
Regards
Martin

<JOHAN>
posted
Hello
the 8X64s is based the same as 3006. I used to make cases for my old 8X64S by reforming 3006 cases. Why not make a 9,3X62??

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin BN:
Is this one based on the 7x64 or the 9,3x64 case?

The 7X64 is a necked-down 8x64. Some argue, that W. Brenneke built the first 8x64 to make the german army cartridge 8x57 equal to the .30-06. The army didn�t pick up the idea, but it became used as a hunting cartridge.
I think that Sellier & Bellot still load it.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Fritz Kraut

S&B still offers a load for the 8X64S with softpoint. HDF has it for sale in Sweden. Nothing fancy, but it should work for most game.
According to some the 8X64S is not based on an 7X64, but on a necked down 9,3X62. It really doesn't matter since most standard 06 cases could be to from brass.

[This message has been edited by JOHAN (edited 11-07-2001).]

<Martin BN>
posted
Johan,
How did you like your 8x64s for game like moose, red deer and wild boar?
Regards
Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin, I am a rifle builder, and work with wildcats a lot, the headstamp problem sometimes can be an issue. In the same Hatari Times, Wolf describes a 8x60 he built, with impressive perfromance. We Americans don't have easy access to some of the quality brass available in Europe, a shame. If I were starting anew with an 8mm, I would use a 2.5 inch 404 case necked appropriately. Maybe 2-1/4". This would cycle through a standard mauser.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 98 mauser built sometime after the war that is nearly a 8mm-06AI, but the shoulder is .460, and the taper is a little different. The smith that built it stamped 8MM MAGNUM on the barrel, but it is definately not a magnum.I can consistently hit a 5" pie plate at 400 yards with it, which is about as far as I can see. It still has the stepped barrel on it. It came with a set of mounts a little different thanany Ihave ever seen, with the front one set on the barrel about where the original military sight was, and the bolt was the bent military, not enough to clear a regular scope. I had to redo it to clear my scope.I would never have chambered a rifle for a 8mm-06Ai, but it is definately a decent round.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote