New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet makers: take and bake?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any of you makers of bullets, tell me how feasible is this idea?
A machined copper bullet, in a few designs, hollowpoint, flat based, round-nosed, and then a deep cavity in the rear full of pure lead, to keep length down.
Basically an "X" or similar up fron, Partition in back.
The hollowpoint could be made large enough to hold lead as well, for a partition of sorts, bonded or not.
The rear, main cavity could either be bonded or simply tapped with heavy thread to hold onto the lead.
You could sell them without lead, to keep cost (and shipping) down, and casters would have an easy time of customizing for their own suits.
Silly? Redundant? Impractible? Unmarketable?
Perfect?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler made such a bullet then coated it with moly and called it the combined technology failsafe.

[ 10-12-2003, 05:22: Message edited by: stubblejumper ]

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think a couple others have done something similar. Wondering about the feasibility of selling w/o Pb.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C'mon, no one is interested in something like a Bridger Solid or a Barnes X with a rear cavity for your own lead?
Increased weight for length, decreased shipping.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not fill it with powdered tungsten instead? Way cool, I'm with ya. [Smile]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
E'en better.
Where does an honest fellow come by this stuff?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:
E'en better.
Where does an honest fellow come by this stuff?

You can get it all from
Dave Corbin at http://www.corbins.com/

Or from his brother
Richard Corbin at http://www.rceco.com/

But I do not think your jackets for lead casters to fill up will work at all. The reason being that when you pour hot lead into a cold mold (or jacket) the lead does not fill out. If you preheat the jacket to 600-700 degrees maybe, but not from room temp.

I use only solids - as in solid lead. They work extremely well and I see no reason for the copper cladding myself.

I also own both Dave's and Richard's gear. They are both VERY good.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure what the advantage would be by adding lead (weight) to the bullet. There are several manufacturers of solid copper bullets and it seems to me that they do fine without the lead and the extra weight IMHO.

Posts: 58 | Location: Charlotte,NC,USA | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the point would be more one of taking away length than adding weight.
Especially good for folks shooting 35 Whelen, or such, where the heavy pills take up a large portion of powder room.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Adding weight will be nice in that a slower twist would shoot the heavier bullets and the BC would be higher for a given length, especially pronounced when using tungsten cores... A slower twist works better with bullet imbalances, a faster one will make issues out of them. The higher SD is desirable for a number of reasons, although copper bullets still do fine and kill just great. A tungsten cored A-Frame style bullet weighing 300gr in your favorite 30 would be sweet, least I think so. [Smile] A BC of about .8 - .9 would be nice too! [Eek!] I envision a bullet shaped after the 200gr Nosler Accubond, with an A-Frame partition incorperated but containing a powdered tungsten core weighing 300gr at the length of the 200gr Accubond.

[ 10-15-2003, 12:06: Message edited by: Brent Moffitt ]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent, sounds good.
One of the big benefits is the precision allowed by CNC milling vs swaging copper jackets around a core.
I'm thinking a .358" 280g Bridger FN that'll stabilize in a 14" twist Whelen at about 2400+ fps, turning it into a serious big game rifle. [Big Grin]
Or same in a 250g .348 Winchester at about 2350 fps....
Just think of all the rifles originally designed around bullets of ~.225-.250 SD jumping up to .280-.300 SD with no problems other than figuring out which of the plethora of new, slower powders to try!
There's a few Fav's that come to mind, which are often considered short on powder room, like the 416 Chattfield-Taylor for instance.
How about a 500g for the 458 Winchester's 14" twist, that's .1" shorter than a conventional RN?
Anyone with QuickLoad and too much time on their hands want to run that?

Not the end-all-be-all; just an idea....