Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel throating
 Login/Join

posted
Please explain how chamber throating depth is controlled when chambering a barrel.I'd like to rebarrel a 7x57 Mauser but don't want the traditional long throat. I'd like to keep it short enough for the 140-grain range of bullets. Thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: Washington | Registered: 23 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfielder:
Please explain how chamber throating depth is controlled when chambering a barrel.I'd like to rebarrel a 7x57 Mauser but don't want the traditional long throat. I'd like to keep it short enough for the 140-grain range of bullets. Thanks

Use a separate reamer. Cut the throat last.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this also means that you need to do the initial chamber reaming with a reamer that does not cut the throat.

So you need to say so to the supplier of your reamer...
OR you need to be willing to grind off the flutes in the throat area of the reamer.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost all of my reamers are throatless. I prefer to do the throat as a separate operation. I like to be able to adjust the length of the throat based on individual needs. Kind of like the Burger King slogan, "have it your way"! Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Malborg's approach is a good one. You can also have a reamer ground with the throat dimensions you want. I do this so that if I want another rifle in that chambering with the same throat it is easy to do. Also if I wear out
the throat area of a barrel it is easy to set it back and rechamber. The throat is a significant part of the chambering. I am glad you are paying attention to it.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

posted Hide Post
Thank you. I always learn something of value on this site.

Posts: 6 | Location: Washington | Registered: 23 December 2005Reply With Quote