THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need Info On 1903 Colt Pocket Pistol Conversion To 380

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Info On 1903 Colt Pocket Pistol Conversion To 380
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are any of you familiar with the 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless Pistol. Hidden-Hammer fired, with some similarities to a 1911, including the grip safety, but about 40% smaller.
I have been looking for a 1908 version in 380 cal, but those seem to be difficult to find, and when available are a bit up there on price, whereas the 1903s are reasonably priced (by my standards anyway).
I want a carry pistol and the 380 in 1908 config is my preference. (The military version would be OK too. I like the workmanship, etc. and that Types 2 thru 5 have a grip safety and magazine safety.
Since it would be my CCW, I am not opposed to getting something like a 1903 and doing a mod to make it a 380.
Do any of you know if that mod would work. I have not been able to borrow a 1908 version, so am not sure if the frame and slide are nearly identical. If near identical, the mod shouldn't be too difficult. Probably springs, magazine, barrel.
Please offer suggestions.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The Colt 1903 Pocket is not striker fired; it has an internal hammer. The Colt 1908 Vest Pocket is a striker fired .25 auto; could you be confusing them? The .32 can easily be converted to .380 by swapping barrel, magazine and recoil spring, but good luck finding a barrel. There are a lot better choices for a CCW pistol.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks John.
I was unaware of the striker vs internal hammer.
From what I have read, the 1903 was made in either 25 or 32 cal. I understand that the 380 was first introduced in the small pistol in 1908, I think getting it's designation from that date.

I have a machine shop, so I expect that making a barrel from a piece of 9mm rifled stock may be do-able, but am unsure as to the cuts that would be necessary. I am also unsure whether the magazine cutout for a 25 or 32 is the same as what Colt did for the 380.
All this is still in the research stage.
I do understand that there are a number of other good CCW selections, but so far I have not found any that I preferred over that Colt Pocket model in 380. One thing I have seen is that the cost of a 380 magazines for those Colts may kill the whole project.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The problem is in with the internal hammer and safety--too slow for me in CCW, I want to pull it out, pull the trigger without a safety to dick with. I also prefer not to carry a gun in my pocket with the hammer back. Therfore, I'm a big fan of the striker fired guns that cock with the trigger pull. BTW, the only Colt in .25 is the 1908 Vest Pocket, a totally different (and useless) gun. Given enough time and tools making a .380 barrel wouldn't be out the rhelm of possibilites; might be fun.

The Ruger LCP might be worth a look. My wife carries one,

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The differences that I recall between the two calibers in the 1903 Pocket Hammerless Colt are.

barrel
magazine
ejector
bolt face diameter

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownells told me barrel and mag were all that was needed to convert .32 to .380. For all practical purposes they are the same ballistics. I'm keeping mine .32.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Michalski:
Brownells told me barrel and mag were all that was needed to convert .32 to .380. For all practical purposes they are the same ballistics. I'm keeping mine .32.

Myself also.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote