New
Find
Notify
Tools

L.H. Rem 600 to R.H. XP100 Pistol?
 Login/Join

<BruceHinton>
posted
I used to have a right-handed Wichita Silhouette pistol (the bolt handle to left). It was stolen in a burglary, Ser# 004 too! darn! ANYway, I remember a discussion a long time ago about the legality of taking a rifle action to make a pistol, normally not done, but maybe there was a loophole that allowed a paperwork solution to the rule. This would allow an XP100-clone with the bolt on the left. Maybe my Altzheimers' is kicking in but I can't remember ever seeing a factory left handed XP-100. Any ideas out there?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Definately not legal. You can use a pistol action to make a rifle, but not the other way around.

The Savage Striker has the bolt on the left.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A firearm that originated as a rifle and is converted into a handgun is a class 3 weapon (short barreled rifle)and must be registered with the feds.....same procedure as transferring a machinegun.....requires a $200 transfer tax, law enforcement signoff, fingerprints, photos and an FBI background check

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BruceHinton>
posted
Wow, this forum's fast! I guess if I did that Class III thing it would be fun. I already have a minimac, so I have actually done it ... Now the whole world opens up! a Sako 6.5 TCU! Thanks. Appreciate the reply. P.S. And with a small suppressor on it it would be very mannerly!

<ol crip>
posted
Bruce, the change can be legally accomplished going from rifle to XP100. The barrel must be at least 16 inches long and the overall lenght of the XP100 must be at least 26 inches long. It was reprinted in January 1996 American Rifleman page 22. This info came from Edward M, Owen Jr., Chief, Firearms Technology Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Refer to Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), #178.11. [Wink] I have an XP100R in 243 Win. Made from a Model 7 BBld. action w/20 inch bbl. and also an Xp100 in 708 w/18 1/2" bbl from an early Model seven. They shoot like a house on fire. Great for coyotes and antalope. [Smile]

[ 01-03-2003, 09:41: Message edited by: ol crip ]