posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSqSycPaw08
What a little rutine can doo Wink

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Those don't look like cheap stocks either. Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
If i did it that way i't would look like a pile of crap.

I want to know where she gets the checkering tools?
And changing lines as she goes Holly crap!!!

I went back and watched it a few more times I just can't believe it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank good she is not a AGG member Wink
What an ignorance, and she don't even concentrate on her job, standing and jabbing instead of slowing down. Think what that kind of thing can doo to the illution about checkering lasting days Wink

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
thats from being paid by the part not the hour

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Spanish or Italian operation. Firstly that stock looks like it has a very tough synthetic finish and it would be very hard to checker (like a Browning A-Bolt finish). She also looks like she is very practced at what she is doing - high volume repetitive work and certainly not bespoke custom work.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
That's why production guns have big fat borders.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's scary!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
Thank good she is not a AGG member Wink
What an ignorance, and she don't even concentrate on her job, standing and jabbing instead of slowing down. Think what that kind of thing can doo to the illution about checkering lasting days Wink

There are thoze that take days to do a superb job of checkering,..and those that take days to do a lesser job-but no better, than what she achieves in a few minutes....

that aside, she definitely appears to have the technical skills-credentials, to make the grade as an ACGG member.... hilbily

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The scary thing is it's all done by hand no power tool, no lay out tape, all eyeballed, she doesn't slow down to pick up the next line.

Say what you will about the wide border. But she can kick some butt.
And She's Italian I recognize the language. I had an Italian mother in law.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think any checkering/carving is a defacement of a fine stick of wood. A properly designed stock should never slip out of the hand no matter if wet or otherwise. I've hunted over 40 years with un-checkered stocks in all types of weather and never had a case of slippage with any rifle. If you are paying big bucks for good wood, why screw it up?

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wood without checkering is fine, HG wood with poorly executed checkering is shameful & offensive.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Personally, I think any checkering/carving is a defacement of a fine stick of wood. A properly designed stock should never slip out of the hand no matter if wet or otherwise. I've hunted over 40 years with un-checkered stocks in all types of weather and never had a case of slippage with any rifle. If you are paying big bucks for good wood, why screw it up?

I have to disagree.

If the checkering fits with the lines of the stock, is not detracting of the wood it is fine.

There are many patterns out there that are just god awful looking a gaudy. There are also some very fine examples of relief checkering with a fleur de lis pattern. I can think of a few That Sterling Davenport has done and are quite beautiful and complementary to the stock.

That said we all have our own preferences and our own tastes to each his own.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
I have heard that in older days there in Riihimäki, SAKO factory was that kind of skilled women too. They made tens of checkerings per day.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish we could see the end product, that would tell the whole story. On some of my rifles I'd like them checkered but they're 3-500 dollar rifles, not 1500-15000 rifles, I'd rather have somebody like her do a good job at a good price then pay 250 bucks to add not a dollar of value to a rifle I plan to just hunt with.

each their own of course, but rifles always look better with good checkering. Big Grin

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I wonder if she's married...how many chances do you get at an Italian cook that can checker?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I wonder if she's married...how many chances do you get at an Italian cook that can checker?

And as fast as she was going damn strong too. You might get in a fight with her and find yourself with your bell rung

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have nothing against a nice checkering job. But the purpose of a dress tie is just that, it doesn't keep your neck warm.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
I wish we could see the end product, that would tell the whole story.

each their own of course, but rifles always look better with good checkering. Big Grin

Red

Agreed on both points.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:

And as fast as she was going damn strong too. You might get in a fight with her and find yourself with your bell rung

Not to worry; I like a woman with a strong grip! Wink

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I saw her nails and knew all I needed to know about her. She knows what she's doing.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Kimber rifles have very good hand cut checkering.....none of it done in the USA

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't even sand my stocks that fast...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I really like well done, tastefully patterned checkering even on the finest wood...particularly on dark streaked blonde wood such as some high grade English.

I have known a few custom stockmakers who claimed they didn't like checkering on good wood, but generally I found they weren't very good at checkering. Or, like one you would all know if I mentioned his name, he didn't (and still doesn't) know how to checker at all.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally, I think any checkering/carving is a defacement of a fine stick of wood.

How about the use of deck tape? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Personally, I think any checkering/carving is a defacement of a fine stick of wood.

How about the use of deck tape? Big Grin

Not on a laminate....grip tape rules on them

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote