Notify
Tools

Dissatisfaction with Ruger repair.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
I need your opinion.

I bought a K1V-BBZ in 204 Ruger brand new. I found the accuracy to be about .625" at 100 yards. I was happy. I took it to 200 yards and shot 2-1/2 to 3" groups. This, I thought, was strange. After cleaning the barrel and inspecting for copper fouling, I found what I consider a problem. The last 3/8" of the barrel was not finished like the rest of the barrel. The barrel had grooves in it like some one took a tap and tried to cut it. Not that bad, but you can easily see them with the naked eye, and feel them with a toothpick or swizzle stick. They are very hard to clean the copper from. This to me is not right.

So I sent it back to Ruger.

Got it back in 3 weeks (good job Ruger) with a new forearm installed and they said the barrel was finished to spec and the accuracy was "outstanding".

So, now I have a barrel that is as good as the factory is gonna make it. But not right, by any means. My question for you is....What do I do next?

I want to reload with custom Neil Jones dies, but in order to do that, I need to know if I'm gonna keep this barrel/chamber. I'd hate to spend $300 on a set of dies for a chamber I don't own.

Should I have my 'smith cut and recrown?
New barrel from Shilen or Lilja?

It will bother me to leave it like it is. I'll never be happy.

My thoughts are to get a new barrel. The factory Ruger chamber is never gonna be of match quality.

What do you think?

Jim

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A cut and crown is relatively inexpensive and will elinmate the defect. You may then be able to use up that barrel and be happy with the performance. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3782 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The last 3/8" of the barrel was not finished like the rest of the barrel. The barrel had grooves in it like some one took a tap and tried to cut it.

So I sent it back to Ruger.

Got it back in 3 weeks (good job Ruger) with a new forearm installed and they said the barrel was finished to spec and the accuracy was "outstanding".

Jim

If Ruger thinks that the barrel on your rifle is 'within spec', they're nuts. Send a strongly worded letter to the president of Sturm, Ruger, detailing the problem and the service department's response.
Remind him that there are gunmakers out there chambering for that round, and none of them would consider such a rifle to be 'in spec' (all right, Remington probably would ).
Ask him to intervene on your behalf, preferably to replace the barrel, or the entire gun, if need be.

Crap like this is why I don't buy Rugers any more.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for the Service Department Manager to call me back.. tick...tick...ti..oh well.

I agree the cut/crown could be done quickly (and locally). I might as well try that first. Actually, I don' t think I want a ruger barrel on it anyway, and the months it may take will not be worth it for all the reasons I'm unhappy in the first place. I'm very strongly leaning toward a new barrel.

I would imagine any decent (pac nor, lilja, hart, shilen) would be just fine.

Thanks guys,
Jim

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Why should you have to invest money in a new rifle?? If it were me, I'd be nuts over the situation !! If I were you, I'd sell the rifle and move on. I quit buying Rugers way back when Bill Ruger's politics turned against the 2nd Ammendment. In addition to that, their quality leaves much to be desired. If you want a real shooter, try a Savage !!!

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Ruger knowing that it is not a BR rifle. I just love the way it looks and feels. I didn't expect there to be a flaw in the barrel. I'll see what the "supervisor" at Ruger says. I believe this problem could have occurred on any mass-produced rifle. Now I just want it fixed.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I am confused all the way around on this one...

Why buy a $300 set of Neil Jones dies for a standard mass-production hunting rifle? Doing so will likely add nothing detectable to the accuracy of your rifle or the convenience of your loading routine. (I have Neil Jones dies for my tight-necked .22-BR and some of my bench competition guns, and they are great dies...but as a general rule no die set will add much to accuracy from a loose-toleranced factory chamber.) A Redding or Bonanza, RCBS, or even Lee set will likely be more than adequate for any hunting rifle

Next, the way your rifle shoots IS excellent for a factory-barreled rifle of any make. So, when it comes to cutting 3/8" off the barrel, WHY? Any change to the length of the barrel could have a negative impact on accuracy experienced. (There is a very small chance it could shoot better, too, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.)

I do appreciate that it doesn't look right to you (or any of us here) and that you have trouble getting all the copper out of it after shooting. However, have you tried shooting the barrel WITHOUT getting all the copper out? Does it still shoot well? If it does, then the copper build-up is not significant anyway.

One of the things 60+ years of active shooting has taught me is that shooting results are what matter. How the gun shoots in YOUR hands is what is bottom-line important. Some top name custom guns shoot great, and some shoot like Gnu-dung. Same with factory rifles. Sometimes the Bird of Paradise showers gifts upon us...other times it is just something else it drops on our heads. With a rifle that shoots that well, you can enjoy outshooting folks at the range with their perfect-appearing barrels and snicker when doing it.

I do not like the way Ruger does business, and have had some evil experiences with them at all levels over the last 40 years. Still, I have over 20 of their guns in my vault because they do look nice for standard factory guns, and those 20+ work/shoot exceptionally well. So, much as I dislike the business practices of the firm, I will continue to buy their guns (usually used) when I come across one which I have some evidence shoots well.

MHO

Best wishes,

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I had a similar experience with ruger regarding a revolver. It had an obvious machining error. I called them up and described it, they told me to send it in. They sent it back three weeks later saying it was "normal". Well, this proved to be a load of BS. In fact, one of the clerks at the store where I bought it went through every ruger revolver (which was plenty) they had in stock and could not find a single one that had the defect. I took it to a local gunsmith, he hadn't seen such a defect either.

Anyway, I've got some rugers, but I won't buy anymore. I think they've got managed low cost by having incredibly low standards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Give up on Ruger and buy a Sako.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500gr is on the right track, but it would be a Dakota.

Alberta, You are right, a new barrel is the only way a set of NJ dies would be worth it.

SO, without the $400 I'd need to get it barreled properly I've decided to shoot it as it is. Bought RCBS neck sizer and Hornady seater, 32gr Vmax and IMR4198. I'll let you know how it goes.

Haven't heard from Ruger, don't s'pose I will. Anyway. When I get the money, this one is out the door and in with a Dakota. I'm fed up with mass-produced crap and the QC that (doesn't) come with it.

Damn shame is, I could have bought the 6mmPPC I've dreamed of with the money I used to buy this crap. <beating head on wall>

Jim