THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    the best currently available drillings on the market?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the best currently available drillings on the market?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
If you want to choose a relaiable good shooting quality made drilling which one would you chosse?
and why?
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the Krieghofs. Their "cheaper" line has the advantage of a cocking mechanism, meaning you can carry the gun totally uncocked (not just the rifle barrel). Mine shoots amazingly well for a Drilling - each time I take it to the range to check zero, the shot is right where it is supposed to be. These days you can also get it with unsoldered barrels - much less influence from heat from the first shot. Good triggers. My model is called "Plus", but I think the model designation has changed since then. The only real disadvantage I can think of in this line, is the fact that the "Plus line" only has 2 locks - meaning you can only fire two of the barrels without re-cocking. More expensive Drillings have 3 locks (add at least 50% to the price). More expensive Drillings may also have sidelocks etc etc. A lot of the advantage of those, has been equalized these days with new trigger designs, though. Sidelocks can be a bitch to keep from rusting (don't know if this is the case for all sidelocks, but my friend has a nice Heym with sidelocks, and he is forever fighting rust).

The Blaser Drilling would be another option. Apart from the fact that it does not look very traditional (rifle barrel on top of 2 shot barrels), my major problem with it is that it is only available in 20 Ga. Other than that, the Blaser is an amazingly versatile platform, allowing all sorts of barrel combinations.

Merkel and Sauer have also traditionally made good Drllings. It just seems like they have not been as innovative as either Krieghof or Blaser. Never did much care for the Sauer safety.

Unfortunately, no good Drilling is exactly inexpensive.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agrre that Krieghoff is the leader in current production drillings within a reasonable price range. The new ones start around $4500 and go up from there.

Don't however overlook buying a pre-war drilling in good condition. They can be had in 95% or better condition, with a claw mounted scope for $3000-4000, less if you find a good guild gun. Remember, buy the gun, not the name.

You will probably get a SxS 16ga. over a metric caliber but I plenty of game has been taken with such calibers. Somehow a drilling in .308Win or 7mm Mag just doesn't seek right.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This page ( Krieghoff, English Page) has got quite a bit of information about available Krieghoff models. Check out the models designated as "Thermostabil" - they are the ones with unsoldered rifle barrels - a definite advantage! Also, if you have a choice, get the shorter barrels, just so much nicer in the field!
- mike

[ 10-29-2003, 16:37: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was researching te purchase of my drilling I nticed that they seemed to fall into one of two general catagories.

There were guns that had longer barrels, 26 - 28 inches, and no scope mounts. These seemd to designed for hunters that were primarily after birds and might happen across big game, in which case they would use the iron sighted rifle. Te longer barrels swung better and no scope to interfere with wingshooting.

The other group had the shorter barrels, typially down around 23 inches, and had claw mount scopes. I assume they were for hunters primarily after big game, the shotguns used for birds and small game if the opportunity presented itself.

I opted for the bird gun setup, and now am looking for the big game setup.

Gotta have both, don't you know?
[Wink]

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Danny, Danny, Danny [Razz]

Have you finally decided to clean out some of the museum guns from your cabinet and replace them with a proper gun [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Easy pick is, get one that fits your budget [Eek!] There are already soo manny fine drilling it's impossible to choose. Get one in 12X70-9,3X74R

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys
Thanks for the answeres.german and austrian drillings are very nice and well made and it is difficult to choose among them .
hej Johan :
who said I am going to get rid of my old guns [Big Grin] i may add a drilling to them [Wink] Did you polish the action that you mentioned last week?
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Danny

Nope I have not. I was waiting for you to offer your services [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN