New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off center firing pin strike
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In a Rem 798, I have noticed that the firing pin strikes the primer a fair bit off center. The fired cases are fine, not bent, swelled or any other problems. The gun always goes bang. The indentation is deep, but none have pierced. I have not really fired for accuracy yet. I am just working up loads.

Is this off center strike a problem, or just the nature of the beast??

Thanks,
Arnie

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by "a fair bit off center"? Off center strikes are common in factory produced guns and are usually the result of a cartridge laying at the bottom of a loose chamber placing the primer off center. Off center primer strikes are not conducive to great accuracy. The fact that it goes BOOM consistently should be comforting. Big Grin Unless it's missfiring or striking near the edge I wouldn't worry about it. Not yet anyway.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah my Zustava mini mauser strikes a bit off centre, even with a PFLS'ed handload. The fireing pin protrusion is way over normal as well, but shoots OK. Has pieced two primers in about 1200 shots. Yer pays cheap. . . yer gets cheap. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote