New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-14 action suitability???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have an Eddystone that has been magnafluxed,and heat treated to 40-42 Rockwell (per provided documents) I can find only info on Mausers which reflect treating to 30-32 Rockwell, which posed the question--is the P-14 too hard?? I have two of these for a 375 H&H and whatever?
Any of you "smiths" out there can advise on the hard ness I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Posts: 165 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wallyfish
In the last edition of the Hatari Times (nº22 ), there is an interesting article about building a 416 Rigby on an P-14/17 action. In the process the editor and gunsmith Harald Wolf, found them extremely hard and even had to use special tungsten-carbide cutters to open up the action. He ordered a steel analisis on his Winchester made action that shows 0.40% carbon,plus 3.40 % nickel. At this time , a second barreled action in 416 Rigby is subject of a destruction test in the Firearms Proof House ( I suppose in Belgium ) . He wrote :"I have the notion that Enfield P14/17 actions in good condition might be slightly stronger than original Mauser military actions." Coming from a gunsmith with the experience and reputation of Harald Wolf, his opinnion is important to be taken seriously.
Wish you luck in your project.

Pulki.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote