New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nylon 66 take down
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A fellow was at the range on sunday with an old Nylon 66 (Mohawk 10C) he wanted to take apart to clean. I volunteered to do a little research for him, but the best i could do was an explosion view of it. So, does anyone around here know how to take it down for a good cleaning, or have any idea where i could get a downloadable manual on the mojo wire?

------------------
"Laws are like sausages, it's better not to see either being made"--Otto Von Bismark

When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Save your self a lot of grief! Don't do it!

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the nylon 66 a good look at the exploded view frequently shows you what the gun may look like forever if taken apart! Seriously they are put together much like a cheap clock and at the removal of the wrong pin things go "sproing" and then the troubles realy begin.
When I was working for the retail shops the Nylon 66 was the one most often brought in in a coffee can with the Winchester 88 coming in second. One of the best ones was the guy who took one of his 66s apart and when he couldn't figure out how it went back together, took the other one apart to see if he could figure it out. He couldn't.
I think the Gun digest book of firearms assembly had it in there but don't recall. I no longer have these books.
Removal of the cover, then the barrel then the breech block is no great feat but should still be approached with caution and I don't recommend going any further. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

From what he showed me was happening from just loosening some screws, I figured as much. As soon as the printer gets fix over here, I'll just have to give him a call tell him what i found out, along with the explosion view.

Thanks again.

------------------
"Laws are like sausages, it's better not to see either being made"--Otto Von Bismark

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Speaking from personal, and recent, experience, don't do it. A guy I work with had troubles with his. He brought it to work & we "took it apart". The "sproing" sound mentioned above is real. I heard it a few times!

Long story short, the gun went home in a cardboard box, and is still in that condition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Curtis

All the above posts are giving you good advice. DON'T DO IT!!!!

Through out the years I have had many Nylon 66's brought to me in pieces. I even had one "gunsmith" bring me one to assemble. When he picked it up he said how much do I owe you? I told him $20.00...... $10.00 for assembly and $10.00 for not telling anyone he had to pay me to put it together.

My suggestion is to get some mineral spirits (paint thinner) and a small brush and scrub and clean what you can reach, even pouring the solvent through the action wont hurt it. Then using compressed air, blow everything out. Dont even take the metal cover off unless you are very careful as you can loose a couple of small parts. Beyond that take it to a gunsmith with EXPERIENCE on Nylon 66"s.

Actually these are good little rifles, they are so light and they will take a surprising amount of rough treatment. The down side is parts are very hard to get now and not many gunsmiths want to work on them or have the experience needed to work on them.

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
If ever there was a Rubic's Gun, this is it.

I've been told for about a hundred years to NEVER take one apart and I believe it. Never did ;-)

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<PWN>
posted
You need three hands, tranquilizers, every conceivable tool and complete isolation from any living thing. I have put half a dozen of them together for friends over the years, but typically need an assembled one to make certain all parts are present and the location of all the connection points and slots for the numberous small spings, pins and such. They were not meant to ever be disassembled and can be cleaned and serviced without doing so. If it will not cycle it probably had too much oil on the acion and all that is needed is to spray the accumulated gunk, powder and bullet residue and old oil out of the action and blow it off with a high pressure air hose. They are not fun to deal with when they arrive in a box or coffee can.

Perry

<Gary Rihn>
posted
OK, it looks like my experience wasn't unusual. This got me to thinking.

If these things are so complicated & hard to put together, why was Remington able to sell them so cheap? With the amount of work that must go into assembling one of these things, you'd think the price would be $1000!

They must have some inside secrets that none of us have discovered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again, thanks guys.

I called the gentleman today after i printed out his explosion view, left a message and told him it wasn't a good idea to field strip it since these rifles are mechanical nightmares. The ball's in his court now, as to what he wants to do with the rifle.

------------------

one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
He-he-he.. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I bought a 66 Apachie BECAUSE I always heard "don't take it apart." I got it for that sole purpose... o ake t apart. But, after I shot it a few times I really started to like it. So light.. and it seems to be very quiet for a .22lr? (I know that doesn't make much sense.. but hey, it is.) Anyway... I like it too much now to risk taking it apart. Maybe if I run into another one at a real bargan I can finaly open that can of worms.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two of these I bought for my kids (yeah, right) and they have turned out to be great guns. I've had them now for 20 some odd years, they've always worked well as long as the clips were in good shape. Took the first one apart and put it back together again, just to do it. The second one has never been apart. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about the same rifle here? The rifle I took apart and cleaned for my X-father in law, was simple to break down and out back together.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote