Find
Notify
Tools

Need some experienced opinion
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
It's getting close to time to scope some rifles and I have my father's Nickel's Supra 2-1/2 power from his Mod 70 that I would like to put it to use in his memory. (The rifle was stolen 20 years ago in South Texas; if anyone knows of a late 40's Mod 70 in 270 Win with German claw mounts and no scope floating around I'll make you a deal for the rifle...) The scope is a mid fifties model. I had it rebuilt recently at L&L and how much recoil will this scope take? Can it stand a big bore? Choices are 376 Steyr, 416/500 and maybe 505 Gibbs. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tigger...
I'll tell ya the truth... check the eye relief... if it's under 4", then only the steyr should wear it... The 505 will HAMMER it to death, imho... and the 500/416 might be okay

jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be better off on a brush gun for deer..Not on a DGR..Those old scope just didn't take recoil that well when they were new, much less a hundred years later..

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I can put it on a lighter rifle than those mentioned and free up a different scope; I was just trying to use it on something more "period" looking. Jeffe, I'm not really sure I want a scope at all on the 505 except for playing at the lease with cast bullets but I was curious about it, just in case. Ray, the scope is about 50 years ols but I'm assuming you mean it's built the same way as the older stuff? I really know nothing about this brand other than my Dad usually sought out the better stuff he could afford in that time and era.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Harry,
if you want to scope the gibbs, the m8-2.5 is a TOUGH leupold.... the old VII-1x4 has done yeoman's service on a 416, just my direct experience...

jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I've got the VII 1-4 on my 416 Remington and it does seem bulletproof. It's been through hell and never fails to perform. The Supra will go on another rifle and I'll free up something else for the 376. The other problem with it 26mm rings; not a lot to choose from over here in the USA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also like the Leupold 1-4 and 1.5-5. I have a 2.5 compact on my 444 that is shooting very well. You might also look at the Burris Minni in 4x. It is very tough and gives the eye relief you may need.
I have a set of 26mm Sako rings with the dovetail if it might work with your setup.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only scope that will hold up on the 505 Gibbs is a the leupol 2.5X compact as it has the adjustments in the center of the scope..It is indestructable it seems...I have had the Gibbs and the 458 Lott trash about every scope I put on them sooner or later, except that little Leupold....

The 416 doesn't have the same effect on scopes and the 1x5, 1.5x5 and about any scope will work fine on that caliber..

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote