Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby 30-378 Accurizing?
 Login/Join

posted
If they already come with an aluminum bedding system what can be done to accurize these as much as possible?

Thompson Long Range sells a Weatherby 30-378 to people that attend their shooting school for $3200. Does anyone know what they do to theirs?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:
sells a Weatherby 30-378 to people that attend their shooting school for $3200. Does anyone know what they do to theirs?

I thought you said your budget was $1,500.00 ?

Professional Hunter - Tanzania

Posts: 88 | Location: So. Cal & Tanzania | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Phil,
It is, and I can find a couple of these for less than $1500. I only asked the question about the guns they sell to see if they do somthing special to their guns, or if that is a normal Accumark with a nice scope and other stuff that comes with it. I wish I had $3200 to spend Smiler

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
The MAIN question is: Can YOU out shoot what the rifle is already capable of, in the feild. IF you can not, then you are wasting money/.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can YOU out shoot what the rifle is already capable

I know the couple of times I've fired one setting the 110+ grs of powder got my attention. The rancher in CO I hunted Elk on bought one he was disappointed in the velocity he got. Don't rmember the exact number but he said it wasn't mcuh more than his 300Wby.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Paul, I see no NEED for the 30-378. If someone "NEEDS" more rifle than a 300Wby class, then chane calibers.

I thyink that the best purpose for the 30-378, is to burn out a barrel quickly.

Keith

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Am I gathering that not many people approve of the rifle or the caliber? I live in Idaho and hunt elk, deer, bear and wolves. I have a 300wsm that is great, but want a step up just because. most of the guys in camp have 300 RUMs. I have considered one of those. THoughts on that?

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
If you want somethung bigger, get a 338 or bigger.

If you can out shoot those wuth the 300 RUMs, keep using youe 300 WSM. Do nopt fall for the pecker measuring (mine is bigger than yours)

Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing more needed. Good trigger and best quality scope system.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Don't you wish you could get a question answered here without somebody giving oppinions instead of answers.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,
You are taking all the fun out of it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:
Am I gathering that not many people approve of the rifle or the caliber? I live in Idaho and hunt elk, deer, bear and wolves. I have a 300wsm that is great, but want a step up just because. most of the guys in camp have 300 RUMs. I have considered one of those. THoughts on that?

HERE WE GO PEOPLE. He just answered your question.
HE DON"T NEED IT HE WANT"S IT.

and that is just as good a reason as any to get a rifle that goes boom in a big way.

MRAMSAY10 Go for it get what you want not what you need, that is the whole reason we are in this Hobby.
I've got a whole list of African big game rifles I want but have literally no use for. Will that stop me from getting them? No way. Cause they are damn fun to shot and nice to look at too.

If everybody bought rifles based on practicality everyone in the world would own a 7X57 and there would be no such thing as a wild cat or an Ackley improved

I don't buy the barrel burner bit either. The 30-378 is over bore but it ain't a .220 swift.
Will it last longer then a .300 win mag. probably not but will it out last a .22-250 or a .220 swift or a .257 Weartherby Now that's a barrel burner

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
KC,
Thanks. My wife might not like your opinion, but I do Smiler I think I am going to get one and try it out.

Anyone know a FFL guy in the Boise, ID area? I want to buy one off Gunbroker and use a local FFL. How much do they generally charge for that service?

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Boise but around here it's a flat fee of like $50 plus the DROS fees.

My girl friend don't agree either but then I asked why she needs another pair of shoes or more diamonds or what ever and she has no logical excuse other then she wants it and it looks good. So I told her Rifles are like jewelry for men. And she doesn't question me any more..... So long as I buy the diamonds, shoes, and guns. Roll Eyes

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote