Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filling Side Mount Holes
 Login/Join

posted
Is it possible (or how difficult/costly is it) to fill the holes left by a sidemount scope base on a Mauser action? I'm sure scres could be put in, but, I would like to return it close to original condition. Does any one have any pictures or recommendation for the work?

Thanks,
Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends. You can fill the holes with oversize screws and then peen them to lock them in place and then grind/polish to match the surrounding surface. Sometimes this will work and be fairly unnoticable.

An alternative is to weld the filler metal in place and then grind/polish. As above, sometimes this can be made fairly unnoticable.

A third alternative would be to fab a small neat filler plate to cover the holes and screw it to the receiver using the original holes or otherwise attach it unobtrusively. The plate could even be engraved with info or decoration. This filler/cover plate would fit well on a LR Mauser, blending in smoothly with the swell of the front ring and ending at the thumb cut.

Or replace the original side mount with a new side mount of your choice.

Engraving and stippling will hide a MULTITUDE of sins.....
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find someone that has a laser welder and talk to them about what you want done. Chances are they can make up some test pieces to practice on before comitting to welding your receiver.
You can run screws into the holes and have the fillets welded. If there is some undercutting they can add a little filler. This process produces very little heat and very small .025 to .040 wide welds.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Lazer welding is by far the best choice in welding but in a pinch i'd have someone with a micro welder do it by hand. and I mean a highly specialized piece of equipment too. A micro welder is what we were using before lazer welding technology came along.
A good micro welder can lay a bead down the side of a sewing needle. Very low head input.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but what is the reason why it (the edges of the filler bolt) couldn't be TIG welded?

I'm no super welder but I've welded .040 steel using MIG wire as a filler.

Is it a heat or heat treatment thing?

Posts: 65 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 27 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Supercracker:
Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but what is the reason why it (the edges of the filler bolt) couldn't be TIG welded?

No, it's more of a I read about this cool new technique thing.

Tig works fine and will continue to do so. Any technique depends as much on the weldor as it does the technology.

As with anything, there are numerous ways to get the same end result.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get around quite a bit and must say that the only laser welders I'm familiar with are the industrial strength ones my company and other made for the automotive industry. These things required special dispensation from the government because their output puts them into "weapons" class. So who out in BFE has a an FFL and a laser welder?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gzig5,
There are other laser welders that you have not gotten around to. They are a laser in a box. You hold the work piece in your hands by reaching through arm ports. You weld while viewing the work through a lens. It is a very simple process.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:

Tig works fine and will continue to do so. Any technique depends as much on the weldor as it does the technology.

It has nothing to do with New technology. Nothing to do with heat treating.

It has everything to do with minimal repair after the fact. A laser welder can build up an area that can be taken down with a stone then touched up with cold blue.

Can it be tiged?? You bet. Will the action require re bluing after the fact?? You bet.

With micro welding or laser welding very little heat is input into the steel and there for very little damage to the surrounding bluing.
And it is not some new technology I read about. I have done micro welding in the past. Quite a bit I may add.

And to elaborate on SR4759 post.
Laser welders are no lager then a standard tig machine now days.
These machine are specifically designed for micro welding. Not huge stuff.
Laying a beed down on a piece of steel .010" wide and .005" tall, try that with a tig.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:

It has nothing to do with New technology. Nothing to do with heat treating.

It has everything to do with minimal repair after the fact. A laser welder can build up an area that can be taken down with a stone then touched up with cold blue.

Can it be tiged?? You bet. Will the action require re bluing after the fact?? You bet.

With micro welding or laser welding very little heat is input into the steel and there for very little damage to the surrounding bluing.
And it is not some new technology I read about. I have done micro welding in the past. Quite a bit I may add.

And to elaborate on SR4759 post.
Laser welders are no lager then a standard tig machine now days.
These machine are specifically designed for micro welding. Not huge stuff.
Laying a beed down on a piece of steel .010" wide and .005" tall, try that with a tig.

Good luck finding someone with a laser welder who is also an FFl to take on the job.

Will it work, sure. Is it required. No.

Sometimes, no, all too often, instead of simply answering the question too many responders get way too engaged in mental masturbation. Not every situation requires the ne plus ultra in technolgy be applied to the situation. Sometimes, good enough is, well, good enough.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That's understood. But an FFL is not required if you can stay with you receiver.

The OP said "return it close to original condition". To me meaning do as little damage to bring the action back.
Now to me that is peening a set of pins over an filing flush or micro welding Which I just happen to have a good friend right down the road that has a full weld and CNC shop with a micro welder and he has a staff member with an FFL
But thats only needed if you are leaving it with him or over night. The welding it self would take less then an hour total including set up time an interrupting his day.

I know what you mean when people come up with suggestions that shot for the stars when they have no means of leaving the ground. But in my case it was a Valid suggestion and a cheep one to As Mike (my friend) will usually take a job like this for $40 cash An Like i said leave a blob of steel behind that can be cleaned up with nothing more then stones.
It a very controlled process. and His machine is a manual tig machine that is just scaled way down and has heat control settings in the tenth amp range.
Laser welding is a bit more involved but not to hard to find either and you can in most cases wait for you part to be finished

www.KLStottlemyer.com