New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSM bolt drag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
have noticed the bolt running over the 3 round capacity in magazine and seems to catch abit of the brass closing on an empty chamber. The remedy is what> carry 2 down and feed the 3rd when and if I have the time? strange. would going to a 1pc. floorplate change this? This Winchester Shadow seems generic but it shoots fine. Any pointers or ideas of what I can do to fix this would be ideal. thankyou

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it not close at all on 3 down, or is it that the bolt digs into the top round?

You can break the edges on the bolt with 600 grit paper to keep it from digging into the top round.

You can pull the magazine box out and widen the area where the shoulder is a little by bending it outward. That will give the cartridges more room and the top one won't push up so hard. Keep in mind it still has to fit into the stock, but I doubt it needs much added clearance. I have seen factory magazines where the sides bowed inward from the manufacturing process.

A one piece floorplate might help, but only if it is deeper. A standard replacement one may or may not be since it is suppose to maintain the factory dimensions of the magazine.

Just some ideas, but I think it should be fixable without a lot of fuss.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep....the bolt when closing on an empty chamber rides over the top of 3 rounds and binds close to the shoulder of brass. I will mull over what you mentioned. thanks for some pointers.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just another one of the advantages of the short, fat case. A simple fix might be to simply place a shim under the front of the guard to give another twenty thou or so of space. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3582 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote