New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fore end tip crack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just noticed a hairline crack in the ebony fore end tip of my 416 Rigby. The stock is way nice, having been done by Sterling Davenport sometime in the long ago.
What should be done to stabilize it?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take the metal out of the stock - ck every thing is dry then check to see if the barrel is making any contact with the tip if so float the tip then see if the crack goes through the wood or is A surface crack - to fix the crack get a runny epoxy like the original accraglas take a tapered shim and drive it into the crack to widen the crack smear rhe epoxy in the crack and use a gebtle airstream from a compressor to blow some of the epoxy into crack pull the shim out and clamp the tip together -use a paper towel soaked in vinegar to wipe off the excess epoxy

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
However, Ebony is very oily inside, so the oil must be removed before the epoxy is applied. I use the Universal Solvent (in my world), Xylene. It will remove oil, paint, and eat your liver. Banned in California. So it must work. It does.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
The barrel is not at this time free floated, simply flawlessly inletted. I’ll get it’s pants off and have a look.
I hate to change anything because it such a superb shooter. One step at a time.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In which case Id work from the inside out remove a small amount of ebony, pinch the side together carefully, an use a oil remover with the density of water, glass it from the inside to the outer side, clamp it wide. Wipe it clean and let it dry. I might then cross drill it and glass in a very small threaded cross bolt or pin within the tip (not to show) for strength...Done right it will not show. no need to free float a custom inletted gun IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote