Find
Notify
Tools

SAME CALIBER DIFFERENT SPECS
 Login/Join

<1GEEJAY>
posted
HEY'
I have the specs for a 6.5-06 AI,from two reamer manufacturers.One shows the base to shoulder spec as2.0751 The other mfg,shows ,1.8930.Should they be the same,or is there is reason for the difference?Just curious.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

<JBelk>
posted
1GEEJAY---

That's pretty normal. You should call the DIE maker and find out what *they* use. It'll cost you a lot more money if you end up with a real odd ball.

BTW-- Ackley never made a "6.5-06AI". It was called the 256/06. It was one of many 264 wildcats on the 06 case. I've done a couple .263 Sabre rifles a long time ago.....they weren't worth the trouble.

[ 12-09-2002, 20:59: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will try to find out from the folks who built mine and post it here. Whatever they used matches the Redding dies perfectly.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In order for there to be that much difference there would have to be a big difference in shoulder angle.
The important measurement is the distance from the base to the juncture of neck and shoulder which should be roughly 2.165. I say roughly because this measurement will vary with neck diameter.
The important thing is that the chamber be cut to -.004 ona standard go guage and that overall chamber length end up around 2.502 give or take a couple thou.
The reason for this discrepancy is that most of the drawings for the AI cartridges are screwed up! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
1GEEJAY,

I'd say that a difference of .182 is one heck of a difference! Bill Leeper has a good point about wildcats. Some of the data is not always consistant.

That's why I don't mess with them.

I'd investigate this a little before I committed to a set of dies and reamer, then I'd try to stay with the same manufacturer if I could. And I wouldn't call a 3/16's difference "normal".

good luck.

Eric

[ 12-10-2002, 08:31: Message edited by: Eric ]