New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 Stock Question for stockmakers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am restocking a M70 (pushfeed) for my son-in-law. The question concerns the top line of the stock on the left side of the receiver. In order for the complete Winchester logo to be visible, the top line of the stock needs to drop approx. 3/16" below bore line. I have seen it done that way and also with the top line staying on the bore line. Which style is more popular with stockmakers these days? My son-in-law wouldn't know the difference, and besides, it's a freebie so he doesn't get a vote. Smiler

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen, I know what you mean. I always like the straight higher line though, I would leave it up. The drooped line always looked odd to me.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Chic, I don't like the lowered line.

I finished a mdl 70 pattern a while back and I left the line high, but I did have trouble shapeing it where it met the bolt release, had a hard time getting it to come out right, not sure I knew what right was.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Most Model 70s that get restocked with a classic handle end up with the line just below with "Winchester" logo, and above the "Trademark" line. That's the way it almost always seems to work out in my experience.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. "High" it is.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote