New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber 89?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been looking at the on-line auction sites, with the idea of picking up a new Kimber. I was surprised to find that the older Kimber of Oregon, model 89s in super grade-super america seem to sell for about double the price of the Kimber of America rifles. I have never laid eyes on a model 89. Are the 89s that good? Stoney

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No. Some were very nice indeed but have read that they were inconsistant quality wise. I would like to own a few more but not at twice the price. There was a large lot of them sold at a great lot price -it was offered to several people and the people that are selling them now are figuring in a sizeable profit margin. I don't know if these are the same rifles you are looking at but I saw them again at a large gunshow............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Stoney,

I have hunted with a Kimber of Oregon M89 BGR (Big Game Rifle) in .375 H&H for some years. It has great wood and did not have any defects. It would also shoot half-inch 3-shoot groups with the Remington Safari ammo with 300 grain Swift (a known great accuracy load for .375 by the way). The knock on these rifles is some were produced during a time Kimber needed $ and they were not up to specs.

The made rifles up to .505 Gibbs, but I have never seen one of those. I think the BGRs commanding the top prices are the Deluxe models with the integral scope mounts in the African Series.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote