New
Find
Notify
Tools

CERAKOTE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know if Cerakote is safe for baking in an oven that also cooks food for human consumption?

Sounds wacky but I get nervous with chemicals!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only if one's wife doesn't find out about it....

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After I use the kitchen oven to bake finishes, I take and clean can, or other disposable container, dump in some baking soda, fill with water, and put it in the still hot oven. Leave it there for about 1/2 hour or until the water evaporates. The oven will smell better than before you "cooked" your gun parts.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't, if you like your family.

You may not have any problems, but why take the chance when it comes to your family's health.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't your oven vented and self cleaning ?.

I've cooked far more obnoxious chemicals in ours and according to my Doctor the only foreseeable problems

facing the wife and I are ; Gov. run health care BS !. Eeker archer

If it's not self cleaning than an oven spray on cleaner preferably with a citrus base

( makes it smell and clean better ) is going to make cooking in it more appetizing .

Fumes are what your concerns should be focused upon , no gun cleaning or coating materials baked in an

oven ever won the Betty Crocker good house keeping seal . Do as you will .

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are allowed to put oven cleaner in an oven I doubt cerakote can hurt anything.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cerakote Part A contains Benzene, a carcinogen. If you want that in your home, around your family, more power to you.

Don't believe me, here are the MSDS:

http://www.nicindustries.com/i...eries%20Part%20A.pdf

http://www.nicindustries.com/i...eries%20Part%20B.pdf

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Benzene is a volatile hydrocarbon. The heat would vaporize the benzene and it would be vented out of the oven. I expect there would be negligible amounts remaining in the oven.

The air in the kitchen would be contaminated to some extent but again if the room is vented especially if vented with an exhaust fan the risk should be minimal.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but still. I'm with CAS, better safe than sorry.

I use to change motorcycle case bearing with my house oven. Then I met a woman that told me that's not what those are made for. Smiler

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said, it would probably be ok, but why take the chance when it comes to your family?

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Yeah, but still. I'm with CAS, better safe than sorry.

I use to change motorcycle case bearing with my house oven. Then I met a woman that told me that's not what those are made for. Smiler

Terry

Yes - I didn't address that - the wife will certainly be more dangerous than the fumes. Wink

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look at most oven cleaners, they are just Sodium hydroxide. That is safe for both the oven and the kitchen air. I don't know the volume of solvents or amounts of heavy metals (cadmium) vaporized above the flash point of ~172F if you bake Cerakote, but I don't want to breath those in my house. A junk yard oven in the garage with a fan and the door open is the best place for that kind of stuff. Like most things, you will get away with it for a time, but I worry about the cumulative effects.

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you build your own oven for baking gun finishes? The KG Gunkote site used to have instructions for doing that.

From what I remember, it was both easy to build and cheap.

http://www.rb-treasures.com/KG...ts/Gun_Kote_Oven.htm

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For small parts,(actions, bolts, floorplates, etc.) a five dollar toaster oven from a yard sale works great.

For barrels and other long parts, you can make an oven out of duct work and a hot plate.

The baking isn't the important part compared to surface prep and blasting.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't try it.

Birds die when their cage is placed next to a teflon coated pan, meant for food!

If by chance you get some obscure chemical reaction that severely harms someone, well...

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did it, and have notice no ell iffects.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
I did it, and have notice no ell iffects.
clap

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote