New
Find
Notify
Tools

backup iron suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning on finally breaing down and doing some custom work on a rifle. I have endless decisons to make and feel well enough read to know the advantages of each choice except for backup iron sights.

To be honest, I have never used irons as a primary hunting sight, only on plinking. I am planning a QD system (probably Warne or Leupold QWR). The system will include 2 presighted scopes. I am thinking of backup irons as a last resort in case I somehow manage to break everything else.

The rifle will be an all weather stainless/sythetic and I will rpobably break down and send it to Robar for the NP3 on the internals, maybe Roguard on the exterior. I would like sights that will be similarly weather resistant.

I also would hope the sights would be high enough to be used over the scope base with the scope detacted. I realize I will see a tall front sight prominently through the scope.

I really like white-outlined patridge sights on handguns. I love peep sights, but I have't found tight ones them very practical unless in decent light. I would likely trade some accuracy for low light capability of use in dim light. Realistically, I would likely limit use to 100-150 yds max.

There are a ton of options out there. NECG seems to be a favorite supplier.

Any suggestions on what you really liked (or didn't like). Anything that didn't work as well as it seemed?

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I like any of the NECG sights. I also have some Marbles from Brownell's.

I have the Warne Maxima rings and bases and can see over the bases fine.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I especially like the H&H copy out from NECG. It has both a night bead and a fine bead and is an easy switch back and forth.
For my lever guns I use either the Marbles with blade front or the correct lyman tang.
Lately I have bee shooting with the green insert in the firesight front. It seems to gather enough light for me to see at dusk but is not overpowering like the red was in bright sun. I have one on my .375 and a .416 Taylor. I recently put an XS peep on a .458 American but I have not shot it enough to really know if it is something I can really use.
I recently started using the NECG peep that fits onto the Ruger scope bases integral to the rifles and find them to be excellent, very sturdy and easy to zero on and quickly remove to put a scope back on. I don't know if they are available for the rifle you plan to shoot but they might just work for you as well.
You may want to look at the Brockmans hidden peep that works with I think Talley bases. The only limit is the number of actions they will fit.
http://www.brockmansrifles.com/sight_options.asp
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/
Good luck,
FRank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
XO now makes a peep site that will mount on the weaver style base. So does NECG. I was thinking of buying one for my 45/70 Marlin, I have a 1X4 scope in leopold Quick release mounts. I thought I would have a hidden compartment built into the pistol grip of my marlin. I was alrady to order one, then I rememberd my marlin does'nt have a pistol grip !! No one ever said i was a genious(my old one did ) tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am working on a custom rifle for myself right not and I will be installing NECG Basic Ramp front sight with the hood and 5/64 silver bead, but you could opt for one ofthe night sight versions of the bead as well. For the reaer sight I have a Dakota 76 rear sight with a single leaf. The gun will be sighted in for my favorite 75 yards with the open. From what I can tell the sights will look great. One difference that I have is a tall check so the scopes are not mounted on low profile mounts. I do not have a problem with the front sight in the scope picture.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
I especially like the H&H copy out from NECG. It has both a night bead and a fine bead and is an easy switch back and forth.

If this is the one you mean, I am right there with you:

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used that one also but because of the size of the barrel I used the ramp and not the banded.
I feel they are the best of the front sights for DG rifles due to being able to pick up the sight immediately in subdued light.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
The one I am using is not the H&H Barrel band like you are showing but it uses the same inserts. Mine is just a nice ramp by them.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Knight use to sell a Peep that fit Warne bases, a friend had one. Not sure the maker, but Knight doesn't list them, anymore. [?]

SX makes one for Warne:
http://www.xssights.com

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use patridge sights on my rifles. 1/8" square post and 1/8" square notch. You can always open up the notch if you need it. Though patridge isn't common on rifles ,the '30s Mauser 22 I learned on has them and I'm of course using patridge on all my pistols.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree on the patridge front sight and square notch rear. I've never been able to get a repeatable point of aim from a round-top bead, and I find semi-buckhorn "wings" distracting.

When talking with Serengetti about a stock, and my desire for the M70-based rifle (n/incl scope) to weigh seven pounds or less, they told me that the open sights with the front barrel band weighed four ounces. That was more than I expected, and caused me to plan on a simple ramp.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the NECG's rear sights myself, but if you like the looks of the white outline type pistol sight, Millett makes a fully adjustable rifle sight that will allow you to use the white outline blade instead of the standard black "V" blade shown here: http://www.millettsights.com/pages/BlkPwdr.html

They even have Blaze Orange fronts to use with standard Williams style ramps.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Necg also has the peep for he scope bases.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Look under accessories and then peep sights

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
SO while we are at it, can someone ID this rear sight from Cabela's? I really like the looks of it. It is a NECG rifle but I must have missed where they sell thissight?

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
SO while we are at it, can someone ID this rear sight from Cabela's? I really like the looks of it. It is a NECG rifle but I must have missed where they sell this sight?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun.../277917_necg_ham.jsp

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Here is the small version of the picture:

The larger picture is here.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I was really hoping someone coulld ID this sight for me?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I do not know exactly which sight that is. Perhaps NECG can tell you. Weatherby uses a similar one on their Safari Custom, and Jim Wisner makes a pre-64 African Supergrade (did I get that right?) reproduction type sight that is similar. Here is one on one of Ray Atkinson's rifles (I also have one on a rifle I bought from Mr. Atkinson, and would like one or two more for future projects):

Sorry but that is the best that I can do.