THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Bedding a Tikka action in a syn stock -- experience, anyone?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding a Tikka action in a syn stock -- experience, anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
I'm contemplating bedding my long action Tikka, but since it is so different from your average action, I figured I'd ask first. New concept for me, I know. [Big Grin]

Anyway, the round front lug fits very closely with the metal insert in the stock, and I don't think there is much to be improved there. The rear though, is quite sloppy. The rear of action rests on the the tang, instead of the part of the action around the rear screw. Since the front recoil lug is round, the back of the action slides side to side pretty easily.

The plan is to raise the tang by one or two layers of tape (say, 0.006), and bed the rear end around the action screw area with Devcon aluminum putty.

My question is: since there is side to side play, do I worry about bedding-in the sides, or should I just worry about rear of the action? TIA, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dutch,

Are you confident that bedding compound will stick to the synthetic stock? I have the devils own job getting it to stick to my Ruger Allweather...

How does your Tikka shoot now? Most seem to shoot really well considering they are relatively modestly priced...

Regards

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Pete, this is a 280, and it holds five in about 1.5". Not terrible, but not great, either. Just looking for a little more consistency, primarily. As far as holding, so far, the Devcon is holding on to my Ramline stock on my Savage. I rough the stock up pretty well, but without resorting to creating mechanical locks. If the bedding does pop out, I'll take out the Dremel and create some undercuts. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote