New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAVAGE EXTRACTORS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Savage bolt in .243 that the extractor is getting sluggish-won't move to completely grasp the cartridge rim.
Is the extractor press fit in?
I see no pins and would like to remove it to clean the area thoroughly.

Help please!

Thanx!
Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The extractor is held by spring pressure from underneath. You can slide the extractor out of its dovetail without tools but be careful to capture the ball and spring underneath.

A common fix for weak Savage extractors is to use a more precise diameter ball. They are sold many places and if I remember right the diameter is .049 inch. I suppose they make stronger springs too, but the new ball is all I ever needed to correct that issue.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tig,
Thanx for that!
The extractor just seems hard to move-cleaned up some and it works better but I would lie a little better free movement.

Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the extractor out but alas, I lost the extractor and detent ball----went wild upon disassembly!

FOUND THEM BOTH!

Lost the detent ball again during reassembly!

Found it a second time!

Got it together after cleaning everything up and it works great!

BOY AM I A LUCKY SOB!!!

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Lucky indeed.

Posts: 471 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found Number 3 steal shot works well as a replacement ball.

If one wants to see flying springs and detents go to M-16 armorers class.

It is amazing where they go.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about farming out my services to Gunsmiths and Armorers to "DO THE CRAWL" for them for a small fee! (of course) Big Grin

Hip

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do not use steel shot; those are soft. Use proper parts, available from Savage.

Posts: 17191 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Do not use steel shot; those are soft. Use proper parts, available from Savage.

That could be but thousands of rounds later.

Tells me not to worry to much.

When one is in the middle of a Wyoming prairie. With out a factory replacement part any where near available.

One is not to concerned. How ones gets his rifle up and running.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Haven't you guys heard of plastic bags, always disassemble and assemble things with springs, balls, pins, small parts and any other thing that can get lost, inside a clear plastic bag. Done it for years and never lost anything. Can drive pins and manipulate things easy inside a bag.

Posts: 3883 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Haven't you guys heard of plastic bags, always disassemble and assemble things with springs, balls, pins, small parts and any other thing that can get lost, inside a clear plastic bag. Done it for years and never lost anything. Can drive pins and manipulate things easy inside a bag.

Yeah, but being lazy is not one of my better features!

Hip

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are going to change an extractor retraining ball in the middle of a Wyoming prairie? With a piece of steel shot?
I want to hear about that actually happening. I just can't envision a need for that. Maybe some guy took the extractor out, lost the ball, and needed a field expedient solution. But certainly that is not a valid permanent one.
As for plastic bags; no, I never use them. I know what the parts are going to do before I disassemble them.

Posts: 17191 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Extractor and said parts came out of bolt.

Found the extractor, found the spring didn't find the ball. Found a no.3 steel shot shell under truck seat took said shell apart.

Luckily said no. 3 shot turned out to be just the right size

Put said parts into the bolt went back to shooting PD dogs.

Fairly simple field expedient repair.