New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting some claws on Scope Rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have secured a pair of used and cheap extra high base leupold std rings. I have a really nice Ferlach combination gun which has a 6x42 scope on claw mounts which works really well. I also have an old straight tubed nickel 1-4x20 scope that work really well for close range woodland use.

I am planning on cutting claws at the bottom of rings to fit the little scope to the gun. I don't have or have access to a machine shop, but I do have a good workbench and hand tools so I am going to cut them by hand. Ok I could take the easy route and throw money at the problem with £200 for new recknagel rings and same amount to have them fitted, but what's the fun in that?

I am just going to carefully measure the existing claws on the 6xscope, copy them, and then carefully fit them. If it takes many evenings it's better than rubbish on the telly.

Would welcome any advice and pointers from others who have done this before.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take pictures along the way. Limit use of dremel to areas where a slip won't ruin it

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I'd really like to see the step by step progress of this project. (Some thing like my restocking my take-down Mannlicher Schoenauer)

I have seen second hand rifles that I have been tempted by that had the European claw bases but no scope. I always wondered how I could fit a scope on such a rifle without spending big bucks.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11234 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an interesting project, and I hope you succeed.

I have one of those little Nickel Supras, too, and it is a beautiful glass. Mine has claw mounts soldered on the round tube, which means any further use of it is pretty much limited to doubles/drillings with bases in the same vulnerable position. Fitting it would either cost me a grand or two, or risk the value of the rifle.

At least in your project, all that is at stake is the cost of those cheap rings. I don't suppose you have any lateral adjustment, though, which you will need to keep your reticle in the centre, and elevation will be touch and go.

If the bottom of the rings is 14mm across, you could possibly file them to a rail shape and then attach old claw mounts, bought on the Internet.*

The claw's dovetail would probably be longer than your rail, but you could put the cross-bolt each side of it and tighten on that. My own minor experience with rails suggests the claw's female dovetail is usually such a tight fit that it needs to be heated enough to turn blue before it will go on.

* PS: With luck for under $100 - less than the tools Duane mentions below. With no objective bell, at least you could settle for claws the same height. Hopefully, they would be wide enough to fit tightly or stone down.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of good things can be done with a file and patience! Please post pictures of the project.

Hope it works out, even if it does not I am sure you will have more fun than watching the TV.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents for all your thoughts and advice. It's going to be a winter project. In the meantime we have a little independence referendum to get through.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I can only speculate that if Scotland had been independent before Dunblane that we in England and Wales would not have got stuffed with a handgun ban courtesy of Michael Forsyth desperate to keep his Parliamentary seat!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote